Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a full layout on ebay last November and just finished relaying about 100 feet of track. I tested it as I went with a locomotive but now that it is completed I notice when I put the cars behind the locomotive they become detatched. It seems the train will run on full power and sometimes must be nudged to get moving and has a hard time running at slow speed. I ran a main trunk line of 14 guage wire and connect feeders along the route. I suspect the tracks are dirty and possibly the wheels as I see sparks coming from them along the route. Does anyone know the best way to clean the tracks and wheels if this is the solution? Thank you

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
for the track i use rubbing alcohol and a t-shirt. for the wheels i use rubbing alcohol and q-tips. or you can put rubbing alcohol on a paper towel lay it on the track and run your loco over it to clean the wheels

·
Registered
487 Posts
or you can put rubbing alcohol on a paper towel lay it on the track and run your loco over it to clean the wheels
I use a form of this......wet a paper towel with alcohol, put one set of loco wheels on the towel and let the other set contact the rails as usual. Run the loco at full throttle, holding it in place over the towel. This will usually clean the wheels. Then just turn the loco around, shift the towel and bit and clean the other set....

Jim

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Just out of curiosity do you think if an engine running at 100% full throttle in reverse getting to full speed instantly and then doing the same forwards but when going forward it slowly creaps up to full speed just needs a cleaning as well? or is there a bigger problem for another thread that goes beyond cleaning the track/wheels?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts