Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys new here. As i stated in my introduction i got a life-like set for christmas from my in-laws. I like it cause its a cool gift idea but i do have the chance to take it back and get somehting else if i want. So I thought about taking it back and getting a bachmann set I've had my eye on. Is the bachmann better than the life-like? I'm looking for a good starter set thats easy to expand off of. I'll stick with this and make sure its a hoddy I really enjoy befor I go all out on a big layout. Any suggestions? If i can find the backmann set i've been looking at I'll post it.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
It is a very nice running set that has its limitations but is far better than many sets out there. Even nicer is that the locos can be run on club layouts that do not permit analog engines should you ever decide to visit one or go to a show.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
DCC is the way to go from the start and the basics are easily learned from the Bachmann set. Then, if you move on to a larger layout, you'll have DCC locos to start with that are compatible with every other system out there. Remember that the DCC chips are compatible with all systems, the controllers and such are specific to each brand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if i upgraded to the dcc set, i can use those locos on a future set but not the controller, thats not a bad deal i guess. I think im going to look into upgrading. Know any good places to get the bachmann set for a little cheaper than i posted?

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I haven't bought new in 5 years, I enjoy search and rescue modeling myself...finding box lots and making the best from there. You'd be surprised how many old school locs can be converted to DCC rather painlessly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet thanks for all the help. Talked to my wife this weekend, we are going to get the bachmann starter kit that i wanted and keep my ll for a christmas tree set. So works for me. Thanks agian.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to work in a a hobby shop and that bachmann set flew off our shelves every time Id put it up so it is a good system later you could always expand to a nice digitrax system

1 - 9 of 9 Posts