Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a small train show this afternoon...very disappointing. Since I run stuff that's fifty years old, I don't expect a lot of stuff to be there, for sale. What was there, however, was overpriced----I could buy it off the LHS wall at those prices, anytime. It reinforced my feeling that ebay will eventually put the show dealers out of business. The greed of the "I've gotta get top price" attitude is a real turnoff. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Did really well at a swap meet today...but...like you, there were folks there who were in serious need of a reality check.

First rule of older trains: Just because it's old, does NOT necessarily means it's valuable.

...sigh...

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed. If old meant valuable, I'd be swimming in money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was just telling a friend ,its getting to where you cant afford this stuff for these trains anymore . Went to a train show last weekend and serious reality checks were in order i think there as well . some of the things were way over priced ! Had this fellow try to sell me an air compressor for a paint gun. it looked kinda rough and used cant remember what brand but when i said what cha want for that ? $160 flew out and i nearly choked on the drink i was drinking !

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have sold and bought plenty at train shows, and like most have seen a few people that are really "proud" of their stuff. We try and sell things for around 10% less than what is showing for average LHS prices. At least that way, you move stuff instead of loading it back into the truck. I have seen the same box car at one persons stall @$12, and @ another booth for $8. Guess we know who is going to sell theirs, lol.

Kevin

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,988 Posts
I have sold and bought plenty at train shows, and like most have seen a few people that are really "proud" of their stuff. We try and sell things for around 10% less than what is showing for average LHS prices. At least that way, you move stuff instead of loading it back into the truck. I have seen the same box car at one persons stall @$12, and @ another booth for $8. Guess we know who is going to sell theirs, lol.

Kevin

I would say the $12.00 booth as there must be something wrong with the cheaper one at the $8.00 booth.:D

Just kidding but I am sure there are some who think like this. lol

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Battle Plan?

What plan do most people have for Train shows,swap meets,etc. Some go just for the thrill of the show. Some go for the commraderie that exists among our fellow hobbyists. Then there are the seasoned veterans who go looking for specific items of need. Yes we may over evaluate our personal collections,but we all still think that ours is the best. Check prices over and over from ebay or show to show. Record those prices in a little black book or, better yet, create a spread sheet with various pricing info collected along the way(those Statistics classes pay off). Use the accute bartering schemes that you have picked up over the years and armed with a bank roll you have hidden away from the wife for months.....now you have a BATTLE PLAN! A friend of mine worked as a used car salesman for quite a few years and told me of the Bump Plan. Tell your salesman you have only so much to spend, and you really like his item and engage him in conversation about the item, low ball him and start to walk away(be charming and sincere) turn your back,look over your shoulder, make eye contact and in less than 10 seconds he will cave in. This method works out about 85% of the time. It works my friends. It also helps you get to know people and make new contacts. Oh, always ask for and leave a business card. Anyway thats kinda old school but it is effective.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I look under the tables and for box lots, you just never know what you'll find that a little patience and product knowledge will get you. I picked up a box lot of 5 locomotives one time, they wanted $40 for the "parts" box. All I did was take them home and rearrange the "parts" into 5 perfectly fine working steam engines with nary a nick on them---most of them worth the 40 bucks by themselves.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not nearly as sophisticated as you guys. *L* Since nothing I buy is new, there's a lot less of it (S Scale). There seems to be a belief that the prices on the LHS shelf should be matched at the show---they don't stop to think it isn't selling in the shop at those prices. I look for the guy who has a few pieces he'd like to part with and make him a low-ball offer. If he doesn't immediately drop his price to negotiate, I'll walk away. After all, I can get it for the LHS price anytime, and cheaper on Ebay most of the time. I'm not going to try to persuade a guy to do something (drop his price) that's in his best interest if he's already too dumb to do it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Just Walk Away!

Hey Recker,
That Bump plan is good for those items that you may REALLY WANT. Yeah, I've done the walk of life straight to my Ebay account for items that I could probably get cheaper anyway! The PLAN works at different Train Shows(but those are running out cuz I've been to them all,locally.;););) It's hell to be a RINGER!:D:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts