Model Train Forum banner

Train slows down on some sections

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  NHRich 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a simple layout, oval kato double track. I’m running two trains with two transformers. Sometimes a train will slow down and eventually stop. I need to increase the speed to avoid stopping. The train slows down on the straight sections, and then sprints around the curves. It will do this for a while and eventually will stop slowing down and will sprint around the entire oval ... at which time I reduce the speed.

Something seems to correct itself. Not sure if its the transformer, track or engine.

I’ve cleaned the engine wheels and the track. I go through this every once in a while. Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

#2 · (Edited)
Have you cleaned the wheel pickups?

In a curve, the wheel will shift slightly in the truck bolsters and often find a clean part of the pîckup. When it exits the curve the wheels once again move back to their original position. They will eventually wear away the dirt or oxidation on that part of the pickup and run normally.

You also need to check to see that the pickups are in good contact with the wheel when on a straight section.

#4 ·
How big of a layout, how many feet?
How is the power feed? How many feeds?
Is this DC or DCC?
You need a DVM and a 'load' of some kind (auto lamps for example0 to test for voltage drop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.