Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My layout is currently DC due to budget. I would like to add sound. Is there any computer software that is free to try or use that could be played out of a sound card and into speakers in the layout? Also are there any inexpensive ways to add sound to DC a layout. I just do not have the budget to go DCC.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
Currently I am into making my own electronics. I have a back burner project on diesel horns. I haven't found this to be an inexpensive way to go. Sound cards are available but nothing in this realm is simple. Of course if you buy DCC it has it all. So I have no suggestions for simple. Unless you buy a train sounds cd and play it I have a clock that whistles with 12 different sounds.:D

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Currently I am into making my own electronics. I have a back burner project on diesel horns. I haven't found this to be an inexpensive way to go. Sound cards are available but nothing in this realm is simple. Of course if you buy DCC it has it all. So I have no suggestions for simple. Unless you buy a train sounds cd and play it I have a clock that whistles with 12 different sounds.:D

Since I have worked allot with computers I have been kicking around the idea of running something from a PC. I just need to get all of the sounds. Was hopping that there was some software that was already available though :).

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
I think it has been asked. But I believe that information is around in the form of consulting. It is not common knowledge to me. Even a computer needs to vary a sound signal from an engine requiring information on speed etc. That is what exactlly DCC does. Companies do have sound boards But you will have to look at them. I am at the stage where I use a DC pulse to activate a sound or some other detector on the rails.In use since Prewar Lionel.
Also you are scripting to a guy who cannot fix his wireless router.:(
Computer technical savy is always welcome:worshippy:

So far I have kept the computer separated from the train table. It is important to me as a resource for the the hobby.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts