Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove 2 hours each way yesterday from the mountains of North Georgia to Atlanta to check out my transformer and engine. With a little oil from the repair shop and some instruction for me on how to hook transformer to track (yes, I'm really that inexperienced with trains)... I got my husband's very old Lionel train purring around the base of the Christmas tree. Well.... today, I decided to see how fast it would go... and the engine jumped the track on a curve and plopped over on its side. I put the engine back on the track (it does not appear to be broken in any way) and turned the handle on the transformer, but it simply won't work. Since this track-jumping incident, the red indicator light on the transformer won't light up when I turn up the juice... but some power is flowing because turning that handle still lights up the engine's headlight and causes the engine to produce "smoke" (even though it's sitting still on the track). Any ideas on what might be wrong? Do engines that "jump the track" short out something in the process? All five of my grandkids will be here on Friday, and they are expecting the TRAIN!! All suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lever on top of engine

Yes, there is a lever on top of the engine. It is pushed all the way to one side. (The man in the train repair place told me to leave it pushed to the right so the train would always go forward when I started it.)

The number on the side of the engine is 675.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yes, there is a lever on top of the engine. It is pushed all the way to one side. (The man in the train repair place told me to leave it pushed to the right so the train would always go forward when I started it.)

The number on the side of the engine is 675.
I would not be suprised if when the locomotive derailed that the e-unit drum rotated to the neutral position... Try moving the lever to the other side and see if the locomotive starts to cycle reverse-neutral-forward-neutral... If this works, once it starts moving forward again, stop the locomotive and move the lever back "to the right" and it will be locked in forward :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It works!!

Thank you so much for your help! The engine is working fine after I moved the lever and did as you suggested. You have made this grandmother have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Just catching up on this thread. I just love happy endings ... sniff, sniff ...

Have fun, grandma ... keep those kids happy, don't let them tempt gravity too much, and bake some fresh chocolate chip cookies, will ya'?

Cheers,

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
And stop running the trains so fast!:D

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Jumpin' back in ...

Hey, Grandma ...

What other fun stuff do you have with the old Lionel set? That #675 is 1947-1952. Good stuff for us old-school boys.

Here's a little bedtime reading for you:

General bio info:
http://www.postwarlionel.com/cgi-bin/postwar?ITEM=675
http://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_675_loco.htm

Detailed service manual info:
http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/675-47.htm
http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/675-52.htm

Let us know if you need help with any of the other bits.

Now go bake a turkey!

TJ

·
Yard Master & Research
10,648 Posts
I missed the fun

The 675 is a great oldie. Very old so what is the worst?
The e unit drum is where you are most vulnerable. It is pictured here so you can peek at it under the engine. In neutral it doesn't move you learned that but if the drum breaks at one of the ends it could fry. So if the engine doesn't respond after a push or you don't hear the click of the drum revolving, take a look at it. From running it get use to the sounds and it's time reactions. Enjoy it for another 60 years.

For basic info ,if your manual was thrown out, print out the BASIC O/027 Manual found here. just scroll down a little.

CAN we get this moved to the O scale section?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts