Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By that I mean how many of our MTF members have trains displayed in your homes other than on your layouts?

We do. I have installed train shelves in the kitchen, living room, office, and our bedroom. In our particular situation, display shelves in our train room would not work. So the interior of our home is the logical place to display trains that are not in service. The side benefit is we get to enjoy our trains most of the time and they sure look cool on our home.

With recent train inventory additions, got to find the room for more display shelves. :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have in our parlor six B&W pictures 8 x 12 that are beautifully matted and framed of the PRR coming through Millersburg, Pa. during the early 30s-40s. Our local bar/restaurant owner, who had his establishment right next to the PRR Line, was retiring and he knew I was a train nerd and had asked me if I would want to purchase them. I did and are now I own some of the local history of the town.
Below these pictures and atop of my roll top desk I have the LIONEL Golden Hudson tender and caboose in its display case. This is probably the only engine I will never run. I just like how well done it was made.
I our TV veiwing room I have a few cast iron trains along with a wooden ten wheeler that looks to be about G gauge.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job, Laz. I forgot about train pictures and we have some of those hung on our walls as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only one in the family who is as much of a train fan as I am is my 2 yr old son so naturally I chose to accent his room with a little history.

I have an engine I don't really run a whole lot and my grandfather's old cars passing through what I believe is an old Marx trestle bridge which was also a part of my grandfather's collection.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Wife has a rule, I get the entire large basement for all the trains that I can cram into it. No trains allowed out of the basement.

Bill

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife tolerates trains in the train room but no where else which is OK by me.

I don't have room for shelves in the train room so trains are stored on book cases under the layout.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Wife has a rule, I get the entire large basement for all the trains that I can cram into it. No trains allowed out of the basement.

Bill
My wife said the same thing, fine with me.:)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I have 1 garage with an antique vehicle and about 3/4s of my basement full of my stuff, consisting mostly of stored trains.

The only place I display O scale trains (three o scale engines) is on the living room mantle and a couple HO models on my book shelves and a few railroad lanterns. My wife puts up with it, but I think it bugs her...

Tom

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mgietrain, you sure have the right spirit. Good job with your train displays.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
My wife's Uncle had the best plan. He lived in a modest Cape Cod style home. His wife could no longer cope with stairs due to multiple knee and hip issues. After years of being in the cold, damp, dark basement, he moved his HO empire upstairs. After some time, holes we poked through the walls and nice tunnels were created. Suddenly his trains circled the two upstairs bedrooms and even had a section going through the bathroom. My wife's first memory was sitting in solitude until the train came rolling through.

It was always kept a secret what he had done upstairs and his bride was never aware until he passed.

Trains running through the bathroom, my wife still smiles when we talk about it!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I definitely have a few around, along with many pictures. One display case is on my night stand, and I use the LED lighting as a lamp sometimes. I rotate smaller locomotives in and out of that when I have things out of the storage bins. I also have my larger display case on top of my bookshelf, which normally houses my Lionel N&W 611, but currently has my Lionel WP F3 diesels while the 611 is out for repair. The top couple of shelves of that bookshelf are also dedicated to displaying a few favorite railroad related items and models. My girlfriend has an equal number of horse models displayed and artwork hanging on the walls related to her interests so she doesn't have much of an issue with my displays.

IMG_7929.JPG

1 - 20 of 41 Posts