Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 358 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TRAINS GONE WILD!

Passenger train derails in Connecticut sideswipes another passenger train.

Freight trains have a T bone crash and bring a bridge down.

Now minutes ago...Train hit tractor trailer derails in Whitemarsh Md, sets off a massive explosion.

Man, a lot of big train accidents this year so far. :smokin:

·
16,666 Posts
A lot in the past two weeks.

Then again, in a Facebook / iPhone world, news goes global in a blink ... perhaps where it would have been left in the dust in years past.

TJ

·
Registered
896 Posts
tell me about it.. on yahoo news letter. there is three shootings with more than 2 people dead

i dont want to go out any more.

and 3 feet of snow the past Saturday in up state ny utica,

·
Hobo for Life
5,953 Posts
Saw the md one on the news just now. Not good. Hazmat on scene, homeowners told not to return. Hopefully everyone is Ok. ( Ed stay out of there with your level one Hazmat glasses. )

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones that had the T bone accident in Missouri, this is the second train accident involving the UP on this area of tracks so far in 2013.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3/27 2013.

A mile-long train hauling oil from Canada derailed and leaked 30,000 gallons of crude in western Minnesota on Wednesday, as debate rages over the environmental risks of transporting tar sands across the border.

r-MINNESOTA-OIL-SPILL-large570.jpg

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
here is the recap of train accidents for the week of 20th-25th

Monday the 20th
BNSF and UP collide near Tehachapi Loop
Amtrak's City of New Orleans derails in Chicago
Metro-North trains collide, NEC closed for days

Friday the 25th
Heart of Texas severed by trestle fire

funny how this stuff happens a lot nowadays

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lack of maintenance.

NYC transit is in the same boat
They are upgrading a lot of things on the rail line where the Connecticut crash occurred.
Bad thing is they are getting new cars too which they need badly, and the ones involved in the crash were new cars.

One big thing for everyone to worry about is our aging bridges on the roads, if they don't get to fixing A LOT OF THEM it will be London Bridges falling down all over the country.

·
Registered
896 Posts
well you guys speak and it happened. NYC transit had a derailment on the #1 train. it was on the part of the elevated section. no one hurt. they had to bring in a second train to hook on so the people could walk through to get to the station.

200 feet of track damaged.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
well if it makes ya feel better on the 28th there was a grade crossing accident in MD that resulted in derailment and explosion

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TRAINS GONE WILD!

Passenger train derails in Connecticut sideswipes another passenger train.

Freight trains have a T bone crash and bring a bridge down.

Now minutes ago...Train hit tractor trailer derails in Whitemarsh Md, sets off a massive explosion.

Man, a lot of big train accidents this year so far. :smokin:
well if it makes ya feel better on the 28th there was a grade crossing accident in MD that resulted in derailment and explosion

That is what started me on this thread Steve, in the first post outlined in red.
That is the one your listing I think?

It seems like every week now there is one somewhere.

They have a video, man the train creamed it!

http://wtvr.com/2013/05/30/train-hits-truck-video/

·
Registered
940 Posts
I see these accidents on the news and think, why? I would think the railroads would know how to operate safely by now. No road block that I coulod see when the train demolished the tractor trailer. Who's watching the rails when we have 2 trains on the same track heading for each other. I just don't understand how these things can be allowed to continue.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Hutch it's strictly truck driver error. The truck in this video didn't even slow down for the crossing. Sure there's no signal there but you are supposed to stop, look and listen by law before you cross any railroad track. If this driver lives I'll bet he'll do that from now on. Bet it took a mile to stop that train. It was really moving. Pete

·
Registered
940 Posts
I agree that the truck driver was in the wrong but with all the money spent on trains and trucks, you would think they would come up with a better plan to protect them. It just doesn't seem right that the driver was even given the opportunity to make a bad choice. How expensive is a wooden arm that goes up and down when a train nears?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is a private crossing, it probably doesn't get heavy traffic.
It doesn't look like he even tried to burn rubber in the end, train was going 49 mph they say.

It also looks like the trees are blocking vision a bit.
But knowing that he probably has been over this crossing many times before and the train was blowing his horn.

YOU AT LEAST STOP AND LOOK AND LISTEN!

This guy has numerous tickets including talking on the cell phone.
If the train was going just 2 miles faster it would have creamed him in the cab.
And he would be dead right now. :smokin:

1 - 20 of 358 Posts