·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #302
A ride on the wild side! I should say wild sLide!:eek:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Thank you for the photos, GRJ. They certainly give us an idea of the damage done to the cars and what's involved in getting them back onto the rails and taken away.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
A high-speed train derailed Saturday morning in France during a test of the new Paris to Strasbourg line. The crash, which happened near France's border with Germany, reportedly killed 10 people and caused other injuries, Le Parisien reported.

The train reportedly derailed after hitting a bridge, before catching fire and falling into a canal.

The train, which was not carrying passengers at the time, was undergoing a trial run. All of the 49 people aboard the train at the time were employees of SNCF, the national French railway system. SNCF has sent a team to investigate, along with French Minister of Ecology Segolene Royal.

Authorities said that the accident was not related to the terror attacks in Paris.

The new line is expected to open in April of 2016.

151114-french-train-1307_1f1a9575e8b4e226245be43e0ed999c1.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Poor France...That sure adds insult to injury.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
SNCF is usually such an accident free railway. Must have been a fault with track. Still calls itself a 'steam' railway (Chemin de Fir'), must be last to do so.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #308

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
An out-of-control Boston commuter train left a station Thursday morning with 50 passengers on board, but no driver!!!!!:eek:
I thought all trains had "dead man" controls??? :dunno:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
They can make a movie out of that?:D

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Well if they did it looks like it didn't work too good.:laugh:
That could have been a big one!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
train accident

Hi,all-Did anyone see NBC news this morning. A bicyclist went thru the signals at a train track and hit a fast moving train and walked away. They had a movie clip of him coming Thru the bars and flying off the bike. Looked like he hit about 1/2 way in the middle of the engine.. I bet he had to take a shower when he got home. It takes all kinds,I guess.

Everyone have a good weekend,sanepilot

·
Registered
694 Posts
And he'll probably sue the railroad too...

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #319
I saw a news clip that said someone said he saw the throttle taped down, that could explain the runaway! :D
That was it,

The operator of the Red Line train that took off from Braintree without him Thursday had apparently rigged a cord around a throttle used to control the train’s movement and also failed to set the brake before exiting the vehicle, according to an official familiar with the investigation’s preliminary findings.

Duh.......he got out to check a switch.:goofball:

The train in Thursday’s incident — one of the oldest in the Red Line fleet, built by Pullman-Standard in the late 1960s — is operated by a lever in the cab called a Cineston controller, which combines the accelerator, brake, and a “dead man’s” safety feature.

The train operator must press that lever down before turning it to accelerate or decelerate and must continue to press it while operating the train. If the operator releases pressure, the lever should pop up, stopping the train automatically.

On Thursday morning, the driver had apparently rigged the lever with a cord to avoid having to apply continuous pressure, according to the official familiar with the investigation.

Doing that could have thwarted the “dead man’s” safety feature that would have stopped the train from moving forward. In addition, Pollack said, the driver had not set a second brake.

At 6:08 a.m. Thursday, the operator contacted the T’s operations control center about an apparent signal problem that was prohibiting the train from moving forward and requested permission to set the train into “manual bypass” mode to override the signal system.

That required him to climb out and throw a toggle switch under the train. The train took off once the switch was flipped, officials said.

:hah: The train took off once the switch was flipped! :goofball:
I wonder what his thoughts were when it took off? :p
Oh...._hit?:laugh:

It took them around 9 minutes to shut off the power to the third rail, then the train had to coast to a stop.
Good thing they were not on a downhill stretch of rail.:rolleyes:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Train hits truck carrying hydrochloric acid in Pennsylvania

Did this make the news here?
Sorry if it was already posted.
An un-guarded crossing, he made a left off the road right in front of the train. Looking at the road and the tracks he was traveling in the same direction of the train and turned in front of it? Never saw it?
Never stopped looked or listened?
I know the company and am trying to find one driver who knows more about it.
They say other trucks have been hit here too, maybe it is time for some gates and bells?
Must have been a hell of a ride, nasty stuff in the tanker too! Glad I don't haul acid anymore.:smokin:
Well we do have 1 load of a 25% caustic mix we haul to a local water treatment plant but is only maybe 4 times a year,
Guess who mainly sees the load!:rolleyes:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/03/06/train-collides-truck-hauling-hydrochloric-acid/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/06/train-hits-with-truck-carrying-hydrochloric-acid-in-pennsylvania-evacuations-ordered.html

301 - 320 of 358 Posts