Model Train Forum banner

321 - 340 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Too many people drive with blinders on, and don't bother to turn their heads when approaching intersections and RR crossings. The old campaign of "Stop, Look and Listen" apparently needs to be renewed.

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
Maybe if cel phones had that campaign as the background, people might read it and look up once in a while.....

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
Did this make the news here?
Sorry if it was already posted.
An un-guarded crossing, he made a left off the road right in front of the train. Looking at the road and the tracks he was traveling in the same direction of the train and turned in front of it? Never saw it?
Never stopped looked or listened?
I know the company and am trying to find one driver who knows more about it.
They say other trucks have been hit here too, maybe it is time for some gates and bells?
Must have been a hell of a ride, nasty stuff in the tanker too! Glad I don't haul acid anymore.:smokin:
Well we do have 1 load of a 25% caustic mix we haul to a local water treatment plant but is only maybe 4 times a year,
Guess who mainly sees the load!:rolleyes:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/03/06/train-collides-truck-hauling-hydrochloric-acid/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/06/train-hits-with-truck-carrying-hydrochloric-acid-in-pennsylvania-evacuations-ordered.html
Unless it happened again, it was commented on here: http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=162009

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #324
Union Pacific said it is investigating the cause of the derailment and is expected to provide its findings to the Federal Railroad Administration.

A southbound Union Pacific train derailed 70 cars early Thursday, July 25, 2019 near Mercer, Missouri. The cause of the derailment is under investigation.

Quite a mess, strange how they ended up.

video here,
https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article233128536.html

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
That's quite an arrangement of the cars...they just accordioned together. Lots of tonnage spilled! Must have been moving at a good clip. I bet the sound was remarkable!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
i used to sit an watch the trains go by every day.. i would see one or two cars wiggling like there about to jump off the tracks. i all ways wondered if they every do jump off the tracks because of them wiggling. Why dont they see these car wiggling. i did every day.

·
Admin
43,791 Posts
I love this comment about the acid truck getting hit by the train!

Officials have not yet determined how much acid may have spilled, or how the crash happened.

Duh! Perhaps I can help you out? The truck stopped on the tracks in front of a speeding train, that about covers it! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
..Why dont they see these car wiggling. i did every day.
Because almost the entire train is in the engineer's blind spot. And how far back, 100' or 1000'?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #329

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
It looks like each train was on it's own track...how did one collide with the rear of the other? One of them had to derail prior to the crash. Yes/no?

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
Yeah not sure how you screw up like that. Even without PTC (although it is supposedly operational on that line), how many warnings do you have to miss to rear-end another train on the same track? A train crew and a dispatcher are gonna have some serious 'splainin' to do!

·
Registered
749 Posts
CTValley wrote:
"Even without PTC (although it is supposedly operational on that line), how many warnings do you have to miss to rear-end another train on the same track? A train crew and a dispatcher are gonna have some serious 'splainin' to do!"

Most of the "explainin'" will have to be done by the guy who ran into the rear of the train ahead. That's the way it goes.

Here's but one more example of why PTC simply isn't the panacea it's been promoted to be. Accidents are STILL going to happen.

Not enough information yet.
If the rear of the train that was run into was protected by an interlocking signal, and if that signal was at "stop", the dispatcher would have had to send "permission" to the following train to pass it, which would then over-ride the "positive stop" and permit the following train to move ahead. But at that point, I believe it would be up to the engineer alone (on the following train) to stop short of the train ahead.

I'm not sure how PTC (at least the NS version of it) handles automatic signals which display "Stop and proceed" instead of "stop" (and stay). It may just require a full stop, after which the train can proceed ahead at restricted speed (probably not exceeding 15mph). But again, that wouldn't prevent the following engineer from running into the train ahead.

I never worked in any kind of PTC territory. The Amtrak run I worked for the last years of my career (New Haven to NY Penn) had cab signals and speed control, but Amtrak's version of PTC (called ACSES) wasn't operational yet. I believe that Metro-North now has their own version of ACSES, somewhat stripped-down from the Amtrak version but the two systems are compatible.

That was fine with me, I liked running trains "the old-fashioned way". Gave the engineer more control over what was going on.

·
Admin
43,791 Posts
When you're running at "restricted speed", you must have visibility 2x the distance needed to stop the train. If the engineer in the trailing train was adhering to that rule, he had plenty of room to stop. My guess is he wasn't and was probably going too fast as well.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
When you're running at "restricted speed", you must have visibility 2x the distance needed to stop the train. If the engineer in the trailing train was adhering to that rule, he had plenty of room to stop. My guess is he wasn't and was probably going too fast as well.
Exactly. Too many rules had to be broken for this to happen.

PTC, though, should have detected that there were two trains in close proximity and enforced the speed limit on the following train. So the engineer probably overrode that as well.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #336

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Yeah, I read that too. Let's see, vehicle crosses tracks, train hits vehicle. Sounds like a cause to me.

The question is, why did the vehicle proceed across the tracks with a train coming? Did the crossing have operational lights or gates? If so, why did the driver ignore those? I suppose they're looking into all that, which could be why they're saying the cause is under investigation.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
In reference to "the dumbing down of America", it's amazing how reliant we have become on something other than ourselves to alert us of oncoming trains! The old days of "Stop, Look and Listen" are way gone. Now we need crossing arms, flashing lights, ringing bells, and who knows what else to tell us to stop at a crossing.

I have no problem with people driving thru a crossing without stopping, but for Heaven's sake, pay attention! Did you consider mechanical failure of the signals? Did you look and listen? If it's a blind crossing did you STOP and listen?

999 times out of 1000 it's the vehicle operator's fault when they get hit. I wonder how driverless cars are programmed to handle unguarded crossings?

321 - 340 of 358 Posts