Model Train Forum banner

341 - 358 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
I wonder how driverless cars are programmed to handle unguarded crossings?
Same way they handle everything else: using a camera or other sensor to detect the incoming train and assess whether it's safe to proceed. Even at the current state of technology, which is not ready for prime time, they're still probably better at it than the average human driver.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
The infrastructure is old and not well cared for in many places, the equipment equally old and often under-maintained, and the employees and organization pushed hard for high-throughput with minimal budget. Not hard to see why this happens.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
Train derails in Arizona, catching fire and causing partial bridge collapse

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
According to this article, the bridge collapsed first...
Click in "StackPath" below...

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #346

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
They knew for years that the bridge needed repair or replacement. They have to do it now.
Why hello Pete, long time no hear.
Doing OK?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
They knew for years that the bridge needed repair or replacement. They have to do it now.
I know a UP engineer that told me they don't normally make repairs to track until something happens.

I asked this question after a train fell over on a bad section of track close to where I live. I knew this was a bad section months before the accident occurred, and I'm certain they knew it too by the way the train wobbled through this section of track. After three days of heavy rain the ground was so saturated that the train just pushed the track into the mud and fell over.

They salvaged the locomotives and cut up and hauled off a total of ten hoppers.

This is the results of their indifference:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
MicharlE, assuming what you were told is true, isn't it sad that the RR had such disregard for the safety of the crew? Imagine an airline having that attitude!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
As a pilot, I can't imagine that happening at an airline. Accidents have happened because of errors made during maintenance, but not intentionally, or with wanton disregard or indifference to problems that need correcting.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
Hey Ed how the heck are ya?
OK, I retired, no more 18 wheels pounding the pavement at the speed of light with the bomb sloshing around behind me. :D

Are you still in Florida? Same spot?
Get your umbrella out, a storm is coming.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Good for you Ed. More train time now. Yes still in Fl and been hearing nothing else but the storm for the last three days and it's not even coming here. Even if it does it won't be any more than an afternoon thunder storm. All this hype for nothing. East coast could be different though.

·
Admin
43,791 Posts
As a pilot, I can't imagine that happening at an airline. Accidents have happened because of errors made during maintenance, but not intentionally, or with wanton disregard or indifference to problems that need correcting.
As a pilot also, I've seen lots of dumb things done during maintenance. Sadly, I have seen a couple of incidents of totally ignoring needed maintenance to cut corners and save money. I got caught up in one, it was an interesting but short flight.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
Good for you Ed. More train time now. Yes still in Fl and been hearing nothing else but the storm for the last three days and it's not even coming here. Even if it does it won't be any more than an afternoon thunder storm. All this hype for nothing. East coast could be different though.
Was going to retire In June, but bumped it up to the end of March, 2 extra months is not worth getting the virus.
We were hauling a lot of ethanol to the places that make all the disinfection products.
2 of our guys got it and one is Mr clean, they got over it but s crew that, 2 months more was not worth the risk.
Got my months vacation in and all my sick and personal days got my bonus and you had to be there in March to collect.
I got that, around 5 k this year, down a little from last year, and said adios ameeegos. :)
Oh I got 1 dentist appointment in before the shutdown so the insurance would pay before I lost it.
Saved 2 grand roughly.
Since March I have only been to HD twice, Lowes once and the gas station once. And the local feed store to fill my propane jugs up.
Otherwise it has been Amazon/e bay shopping for me.

Went to the ear doc Tuesday, my ears have been clogged since March. Drove me crazy so I had to go.
I really don't want to go anywhere near the Docs offices.
I do have to get a blood test so my other Doc will renew my prescriptions again.
Been putting that off too. I still have a couple months of the pills left. But I must go sometime.

Trains? I have been too busy doing things around the house. lol
I did manage 2 days down in the dungeon, but that was mainly cleaning up and organizing things.

Hype up? They don't do that. lol
Well it keeps the economy going with everyone rushing out to stock up on things.
Hurry, get your toilet paper. :D

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Went shoppingyesterday and noticed that the paper isles were all finally stocked up again. Plenty of TP now. Told my neighbors that the storm wouldn't hit here but they didn't believe me. Now it's going up the East coast and some are stuck with all kinds of plywood for windows and extra food. I always have extra food but the windows are left uncovered so I can video tape the storms when they hit. Sat here for the last three hurricanes and didn't regret it. I-75 was a parking lot all the way to Georgia. restaurants were out of food,motels full , no gas at the stations and banks went down when the power went so no money and can't use the credit cards. People are much better off staying home unless they are right on the beach and it's a lot safer too. Got a new Park model home this past January and it's built for Wind Force three which is all double strength framing etc. I have 2x6 wall studs throughout and all metal joint reinforcing so I should be safe enough. It's a lot stronger than my old fifth wheel and that went through the hurricanes with no trouble at all. Got a new dog too. She's a German Shepherd mix (lab and Bernese mountain dog) and she loves to watch animals on TV. Watches trains too and barks at steam engines. Good to have company in the house especially during a bad storm. She goes outside and barks at thunder. What a riot. Also built a train table inside the new house. The house is only 12 x 32 feet so there isn't much room. I'll be adding a hobby room on one side this fall if the stock market doesn't crash. Then I'll have a train table 4 x 24 with lots of room on the walls for shelves. Looking forward to that. Actually I think of you driving that truck whenever I think of my nephew who is driving a fuel truck up in South Carolina. He loves driving and is home every night and weekends so it works out good forhim. Not nice in the winter though. After I moved into the new house I found my map of where everyone loves in the forum. It's says, in big letters, "Big ED lives here" so you won't be forgotten. Ha!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
As a pilot also, I've seen lots of dumb things done during maintenance. Sadly, I have seen a couple of incidents of totally ignoring needed maintenance to cut corners and save money. I got caught up in one, it was an interesting but short flight.
Remember AA191 at KORD in '79? Improper engine R&R caused loss of the left engine right off of the pylon.

After was all said and done, they didn't sava nickel using that unauthorized procedure.

341 - 358 of 358 Posts