Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video taken yesterday on a hot steamy afternoon. Too hot to be outside. Inside with a cool Hofbrau Oktoberfest sounded much better to me.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thanks for the video, Michael! I really enjoyed watching it. You've done a wonderful job of landscaping and model building. I think this is the first I've seen of your unfinished areas and I'm wondering what the future holds for them. I also don't know if you've ever posted a diagram of your entire track plan. You've got an interesting amount of complexity in your track plan that's hard to understand from just the videos you've posted. Congrats on such a fine layout!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Mark. I don't think I had ever shown the unfinished areas. They are difficult to see even when standing because the layout is very high from the floor.

There may be a bit of scenicing from the rear of the mountain spur but I won't be doing a lot back there.

Here is the trackplan. The yard and upper level passing siding are not on this plan. They came after most of the layout was built.

The roads are not where they are now either. Major re-routing there.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Michael, you have a very fine-looking layout there! I agree with Mark that the landscaping is great. Your backdrop really adds to the setting of the layout. I love the European-style locos...they are appear tough and better-looking than most American ones. Your catenary is excellent. One complaint...in my opinion most of your trains are running too fast. It just seems to me the way the rolling stock "whips" through turns, it looks like they want to tip over! Are you modeling scale speeds?...Am I way off base? Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I rarely run any train more than 40 scale MPH.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Enjoyed the video, thanks for posting. (y) One question, it appears to me that the passenger cars are much longer than USA cars, is that right?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not certain of the length of North American cars. German, Austrian, and Swiss are 26.4 meters over the buffers, or 86.6'.

These are mostly full length coaches of 303mm. The exceptions are the ÖBB coaches on the mountain spur. Those, IIRC are 263mm.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Enjoyed the video.

Question: @ 1:48 a pan on a passenger car? For power to the car(s) or... ?

Disclaimer: I know zip about 'lectric traynz.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is the pan for the Restaurant coach for kitchen power.

Reactions: Stumpy

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Most USA coaches are 85' so they are very close to the European 86.6' It's probably the way they appeared in the video.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts