Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a super old Lionel 8300 engine and 4125 Transformer from my childhood (40 years ago). Over the last few years I have been visiting a Local Model Train Show each year and picking up Christmas Cars for it to run around our Christmas tree. My 6 Year old loves going. Anyway, the engine is getting really loud and slows down quite bad at times, so at the Show today, I found a good deal on a new Engine (out of packaging, no documentation), that I thought would work. As the title says, I found out it is a Lionel Great Northern 4-4-2 Steam #1702 from matching the pictures on-line, ()

Well, when i put it on my old rails with my 4125 transformer, it barely moves, and I have to lift it up and set it down to get it to switch directions. In doing a bit more research, found this train has Smoke, Whistle, and direction controlled from the Transformer. My transformer is a red brick that has speed. I assume this is the problem. I cannot seem to find enough detail on-line to determine what type of controller/transformer I need. Really, this is only used at Christmas, so I am looking for rather cheap, and only powering enough track to go around a Christmas tree, so about 20 to 30 feet of really old Track.

I really did search google quite a bit before jumping on here, I hope the post isn't too much trouble. I can answer any additional questions as best I can without actually knowing what I am doing. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Welcome aboard, Earthworm!

Bill gave you good advice. If that doesn't work, the new engine might be defective. Or your transformer might be wearing out.

If you have a collection of Lionel Christmas cars, then you have a valuable collection. You might want to look at the price of a new Lionel train set that is compatible with your Christmas cars.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I agree with Bill and Vincent. Clean your track and make sure the connections are tight. I use 91% isopropyl alcohol to clean track. Put some on a folded paper towel and rub it along the track. You will probably see 3 black streaks. Keep rubbing till you don't see the black stripes. Also clean the wheels and pickups (use a Q-Tip and alcohol) on both engines and put a drop of oil on each bearing.

If the engine has a switch for the smoke unit, turn it off (to reduce the current draw) and see if that helps.

If an engine runs OK near the power connection, but not at the opposite side of the track layout, your track connections need to be improved or another power connection needs to be installed on the opposite side.

The 4125 is rated at 25 watts which should be enough for either engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's. I will try cleaning the track. There doesn't seem to be a switch for turning off the smoke. There is a single switch, but when I flip it, the engine doesn't work at all.

I will post an update after cleaning the track.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Working

Thank you all, after cleaning the tracks, and the Engine Wheels, as well as a slight tweak to one of the metal pieces on the side of the Engine, it is working great.

Thanks for the recommendations and letting me know using my transformer wasn't going to burn out the engine or anything.

Here is a Pic of it running in a circle for test.

Nevermind on the pic, apparently I can't get it to show.

Thanks again!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts