Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 small trans 50 watt 1 1/2. I been using for most of my acceries. On of them got really hot and some lamp post and talking station and bradford dinner lights started to flash on and off. So i think have to much on that one. Thinking of getting a small 100 watt. So my question do u think thats the problem or transformer is going bad. Thanks

Al

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
At this point it could be both. If one of those small transformers is continuously overloaded the enamel coating on the windings can soften. At that point the transformer should be taken out of service. These transformers are ony good for 2A continuous, 3A short duration such as starting a train or throwing a turnout. Figure each bulb is 250mA, some are 350mA. That means only 8 bulbs to a transformer. A 4B is good for 5A continuous load plus headroom for short term loads such as accessory operation and throwing turnouts.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankyou already started too look on e bay so some 100 watt one good price. Thanks again.

Al

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what transformers did you get and what did you pay for them?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to my hobby shop he didnt have any Aft transformers he had 2 lionel just for acceries price was good couldnt pass it up. Type r 100 watt 10.00 and type v 150 watt 20.00

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts