Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I built my first trestle on my layout.. But looking at other modelers, their ties across the their trestles seem to be part of the trestle model. They seem to be bigger and have a closer spacing...
I built mine and then laid my track (Micro Engineering code 100) across the build. Then weathered and stained it all to match... Ummm,,
My questions are..
1. If you build the ties into the trestle model, how are you attaching the rail to it?
2. what are you using to space the rails evenly over the trestle?
3. Is there any literature on doing this?
4. Am i splitting hairs here , and just stick with laying standard track across....

The pics are of my trestle and the track that was just laid across it.. I know I know that code 100 is a scale 20" high .. But it makes it easier for some of the engines and if I get to loose with the ballast on other areas of the layout ;)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Your bridge looks fine, similar to mine. Trackwork is up and running on yours, now focus on other aspect of model railroading. Come back to it later and upgrade.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Here's the way I look at stuff like that. Your rail line got such a deal in a lot of 20" tall rail. That they made it work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough Severn .. lol.. It is a logging layout so the workers opted to use what they had, regular ties and spacing .. And they did get a deal on the 20" rails...

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
So... I built my first trestle on my layout.. But looking at other modelers, their ties across the their trestles seem to be part of the trestle model. They seem to be bigger and have a closer spacing...
I built mine and then laid my track (Micro Engineering code 100) across the build. Then weathered and stained it all to match... Ummm,,
My questions are..
1. If you build the ties into the trestle model, how are you attaching the rail to it?
4. Am i splitting hairs here , and just stick with laying standard track across....

The pics are of my trestle and the track that was just laid across it.. I know I know that code 100 is a scale 20" high .. But it makes it easier for some of the engines and if I get to loose with the ballast on other areas of the layout ;)
1. Contact cement or pliobond;
2. NMRA track gauge, Micro-Engineering three-point guages
3. Look up any articles on hand laying track or scratchbuilding bridges
4. Bridges do not use standard ties, they use larger and heavier ties on a closer spacing.

Also, .100" is more like 9" in HO scale, not 20.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yes, you are right. Real trestles have the heavier closer ties of their own, and for an obvious reason..
It's up to you; keep it the way you have it accepting it being visually incorrect (which is OK)..or, re-do it like 1:1 scale....
I think you knew this going into the project..Now the guilt is killing you....
If you correct it, either all the bents will have to be shortened or approaches to trestle raised to meet the new ties' height..
And you can no longer employ track you have.. You'll need to install blank rail on new heavy ties.... 🛤🌄🌵 M

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
My questions are..

View attachment 546096 View attachment 546097 View attachment 546098
CF-DRG;

First of all, your trestle looks very good! I also like your waterfall, may I ask how you made it?

As for the ties on trestles of most railroads, yes, as others have said, they are thicker (typically square in cross section, rather than the rectangular cross section of a normal tie.) They are also closer together. Both these things are done to support the weight of the train, when there is no longer earth under the ties.
On my model trestles, shown below, I glued the rails onto the wood ties with super glue and, as said, used track gauges to position the rails.
The Micro Engineering bridge track would be the easiest way to upgrade, and looks great.
However, logging lines were a whole different animal. They were temporary. Everything got built in a hurry, with whatever material was available (often raw logs) and then everything got torn up and moved, or abandoned, when the timber had been cut down in that area. Looking at photos of some logging railroad trestles, it seems surprising they could support a train without collapsing. Other massive log bridges looked capable of supporting the weight of a dozen loaded trains at once, stacked on top of each other. So for a logging line, anything goes! I doubt you could come up with an arrangement, no matter how strange, that some logging company did not use somewhere. In fact, your trestle looks entirely too good for a logging line! 😄

Nice work!

Traction Fan 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
PS...Looks like you already have decent stringers (under track)..So you only would need the new heavy densely populated ties to correct the scene..But you still will be forced to deal with approach track tie levels up to them...
Another way would be to slowly make way by slicing away restrictive plastic webbing between existing ties and sliding extra ties under rails, and just accept it not being proto tie height on the bridge; RR crew decided just extra common size ties are enough for this...s l o w...traffic...

·
Registered
221 Posts
real trestles on a class one or two railroad are pretty heavy built ...
on my 1890 logging layout I went pretty light, while I did build the trestles, I used Atlas code 100 flex track on top .. it's pretty hard to notice when you are five feet away ..
layout 023.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts