Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started this a few years ago after discovering Jack Delano’s photographs at the Library of Congress. Jack was one of the photographers hired by the Farm Services Administration to document the depression and later the war effort. Among those many photographs are many of the trains taken around Chicago as well as out west.
This one, taken in 1939, caught my eye because of the engine in the photograph. Was this the inspiration of Lionel’s first NW2 cab number 622.

Lionel cataloged the 622 in 1949 and 1950. In the ‘49 catalog it was lettered “Lionel“ but in 1950 it was lettered for “New York Central”.
324BAAE2-5C20-44A6-90EA-EB01F92BB398.jpeg

Of course what they actually produced was the 622 lettered for Santa Fe. It wasn’t until 46 years later they released the 622 lettered for New York Central.

With all this indoor time I finally got around to finishing a pair of Red Caboose reefer kits to make this scene. The SW1 engine is by MTH and better matches the SW1 in Jacks photo.

Pete

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
Very cool.
I did a somewhat similar tribute to my grandpop's trains. Bought the same ones that he had and staged them on my layout similar to an old photo of his layout.
I've heard of Jack Delano before, but I'm not too familiar with him. So I looked in one of my favorite books, "Decade of the Trains" and sure enough, he is one of the photographers that are listed in the credits.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 3 of 3 Posts