Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this waiting in the mail today, I'm pretty excited about it. I have no idea if this is considered a quality item, or just another car on the track. But I love it. All metal construction, centering springs at the hinge joint and even a few details on the underside.

The wheels are pretty deep and do not like code 83 track, but are nice and smooth on 100. I might have to address that as I may end up with a loop of 83, although most I think is 100.

Next is couplers. Not sure what these are called, but clearly not compatible with knuckle couplers. Looks like they would be easy enough to replace, the rivet could be drilled pretty easy and looks to be in the right spot... Or... Leave these and try to convert a locomotive. I have a few jouef auto racks on the way that I believe have these couplers as well. I'm open to ideas here. My plan is to make a train of auto racks of various types. I know that may not be realistic or accurate, but it's interesting to me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Had this waiting in the mail today, I'm pretty excited about it. I have no idea if this is considered a quality item, or just another car on the track. But I love it. All metal construction, centering springs at the hinge joint and even a few details on the underside.

The wheels are pretty deep and do not like code 83 track, but are nice and smooth on 100. I might have to address that as I may end up with a loop of 83, although most I think is 100.

Next is couplers. Not sure what these are called, but clearly not compatible with knuckle couplers. Looks like they would be easy enough to replace, the rivet could be drilled pretty easy and looks to be in the right spot... Or... Leave these and try to convert a locomotive. I have a few jouef auto racks on the way that I believe have these couplers as well. I'm open to ideas here. My plan is to make a train of auto racks of various types. I know that may not be realistic or accurate, but it's interesting to me.

vette-kid;

Very nice car you got there!
Since it's German, MichelE can probably identify the couplers for you. He models German & Swiss railways.
I vaguely remember similar couplers on a very old HO train set (Varney maybe?) that my brother and I had as kids. Since I'm 72, and he's 78, you can understand how very long ago that was!

Yes, those wheels are "pizza cutters" with huge flanges. Replace them with some new, shallow flange, wheelsets from Intermountain, or Fox Valley models, and the car will work on code 83 track.

I think you have the right idea about the couplers. Drilling out the rivets will let you remove the weird couplers and the casting for the old European buffers too. Mount Kadee couplers on it and your car will fit into your train just fine!
If you want to "Americanise" it a bit further, you could substitute four-wheel truck assemblies (Kadee, Walthers) for the obviously European two-wheel ones. Some modern American oversize flat cars, and well cars for containers, use a shared four wheel truck between sections of the long car. These serve the same purpose as the center wheels on your car. The big well cars are also articulated, or hinged, like your model is. BTW, that must be a pretty old model. It says "made in western Germany" on the bottom. The former countries of West Germany and East Germany reunited into one country quite a few years ago.

Good Luck & Have Fun;

Traction Fan

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I caught the west Germany reference as well! Bit of interesting history with it!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
That's an old West German car for certain. That was before NEM standards were in place for coupler boxes.

I can't make out the manufacturer above the 'Made in Western Germany'. If I had to guess I'd say early '60's.

The coupler looks like an early variation of the Fleischmann or Roco hook and loop. They are only compatible with Piko couplers, and not even all of those.

That car probably rolls pretty nicely as it is. I would wait for the Jouef cars to arrive before changing anything. If the couplers are compatible, then that is several you won't have to replace.

Nice looking Autorack Triebwagen.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's an old West German car for certain. That was before NEM standards were in place for coupler boxes.

I can't make out the manufacturer above the 'Made in Western Germany'. If I had to guess I'd say early '60's.

The coupler looks like an early variation of the Fleischmann or Roco hook and loop. They are only compatible with Piko couplers, and not even all of those.

That car probably rolls pretty nicely as it is. I would wait for the Jouef cars to arrive before changing anything. If the couplers are compatible, then that is several you won't have to replace.

Nice looking Autorack Triebwagen.
Thank you for the information! It is Fleischmann.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Just to clarify, those couplers will be compatible with other hook and loop types regardless of the model brand. The Piko coupler is entirely different but mates well with the hook and loop type.

Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts