Model Train Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today, I tried programming an MTH loco on the JMRI decoder the model railroad club I’m part of uses. However, when I did, I got this message: Programmer error: no acknowledge from locomotive (308)

but that’s not true at all, THAT'S NOT TRUE AT ALL! The loco is on the track, and it was set to program, that means there IS an acknowledgment from the locomotive! I will not tolerate lying programs and I don’t have time for nonsense! Can someone please tell me how to fix this glitch? I thank you in advance.

· Registered
German, Swiss, and Austrian outline. HO/HOm
7,135 Posts
It stores energy to be used for momentary power interruptions such as dirty track.

I don't know anything about those decoders. However, a keep-alive capacitor will sometimes prevent a locomotive from being programmed.

· Registered
65 Posts
Don't remove or disconnect anything you will just make the problem worse! Having the same setup as you this is what you have to do.

1) Make sure track power is on.
2) Make sure JMRI is set to program on main (POM), not programming track.
3) When selecting to add a new loco you have to manually select MTH PS 3.0, the basic not expanded or full.
4) Make sure that 03 is selected as the address. If that doesn't work and it was a used loco it was most likely programmed to the road number of the loco, select that one.
4a) To change the address make sure the track power is on and go to programming basics in JMRI and make sure 128 speed steps is selected then write the number you want to use.
5) Press F3 to startup the loco. That has to be pressed first for anything to happen.

Train Wheel Rolling stock Track Railway
Train Wheel Vehicle Window Rolling stock

These two are my MTH locos that I had to program that way and it works. Also to turn the marker lights on make sure to select F5.

· Registered
65 Posts
Ok I trie dodging as you suggested today, Scott, and still got a 308 error! What am I doing wrong?!
Is track set to Program-On-Main? Did you manually enter the loco in to JMRI? You can't use auto-detect identify as it will not work. Don't write or read just save it manually, give it a name at the top where it asks to name it otherwise it won't save, make sure short address is set to 03, and that the loco is on the JMRI roster on the left with your other locos.

If the throttle doesn't respond to address 03 (try setting it in motion first, if it does then you have the correct address. you will just have to change the loco address in programming basics and tap F3 to turn the sounds and lights on), delete the entry and set to the long address that is on the side of the loco if it is used.

Make sure track power is on. If you have to you might have to pick the loco off the track to reset the decoder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts