Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased the 4690 HO electric engine and when I placed on my track it does not respond. Using same controller and power pack my other DCC engines are working. What could be bad in a brand new engine?

· Registered
10,162 Posts
A GG1 has a pantograph. Could the loco be set
for pan power pickup? Check manual for instructions
for track power pickup.
Are you certain the box says DCC ON BOARD,
or DCC EQUIPPED? Are you using a DCC controller?
Does the light come on?
Clean the loco wheel treads. Check the metal wipers
to make sure they are making contact with wheels.
Any of the above could be the cause of
no response.

Don

· Registered
2,835 Posts
If the track is reading at least 13 volts across the two rails, and other locomotives work, you have a dud.* Return it and ask for a replacement or await a repair.

However, a tip from the late Randy Rinker who, until he died from COVID two years ago, was our resident DCC guru over on MR magazine forums: No matter who sent it to you, always perform a factory reset when you get a 'new' locomotive. This sets the lowest common denominator, a universal basic function set, per the NMRA conventions. Then, with that decoder's manual in hand, begin to configure the decoder as you'd like it to be.

Sorry.

*I assume it really is NIB, not through the hands of someone who assigned it a different/unique address, and it is still set for that address. Or, that the decoder has been fiddled with and is set to ignore DC power if that's what it's fed.

· Registered
12,728 Posts
If this was new in the box from a reputable retailer, just return it for a replacement. Every manufacturer produces a dog every now and then.

· Premium Member
1,315 Posts
If this was new in the box from a reputable retailer, just return it for a replacement. Every manufacturer produces a dog every now and then.
That or what @mesenteria said try a factory reset. BLI is very good with their warranty repair only thing that sucks is having to pay to ship it back. Or you could return it to wherever you purchased it and get a new one. If it's a local store to save on the shipping aspect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts