Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new Walthers 40' Tank Car (931-1614). When I took it out of the packaging, one of the trucks was not attached. It attaches with a slotted plastic pin. It appears the only way to re-attach it is to separate the frame from the tank so the back of the pin can be held in place while pressing the truck over the slotted side (of the pin.)

The problem is, I'm afraid to put too much pressure prying the frame from the tank. Is there an easier way of re-attaching the truck?

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Pics? I think I can help, but I’ll need to pics to be sure....thanks.....

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The frame 'should' separate easily. You may have to remove the couplers, not sure, but are there not one or two small screws recessed into the frame? Remove those carefully, over a sheet remnant or small drop cloth, and the tank shell should separate.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Well, you're instinct is correct: brute force is usually the wrong approach.

Is there room for a small screwdriver between the pin and the frame, or can you get enough grip with tweezers or small needle nosed pliers to hold the pin while installing the truck?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After posting my question, the recommended reading came up and had a thread with more info:

I'm almost 100% sure I have to separate the frame from the tank because that's the only way to get to the back (tank side) of the pin to hold it in place to press the truck on. Using anything to try and hold the pin interferes with the room needed to push the truck in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, I used the brute force method. The pins that hold the frame to the tank seemed to be glued in and using enough force, the pin broke. So now I could get to the back of the pin to hold it and press the truck over the other end. A drop of glue on the broken pin and I'm "good-to-go".

Probably drilling out the center of the pin and using a screw in place of it would work too.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Or if the hole is too big, you could fill the hole with a polystyrene dowel, then drilling a hole in it for a screw would work as well.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts