Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[URL="https://www.modeltrainforum.com/media/train-set-jpg.23048/"][/URL]

this is what plan to build (model is missing switch 048, that I will fix later)....

1) Im going to see if I can use one powerhouse 180 with constant power for new legacy trains, and rewriting the switches as such.
2) .093 molex connector for powerhouse end
3) Running spider or ring :? not sure yet to both tracks..THOUGHTS ?

Still need to build the base, and either put in a service hole to access far ends of the NE section or comeuppance with a base with rollers....(probably use rollers)

Well, thought I would introduce myself in this forum...

Thanks

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok did a little more work…rolls away from wall so i can get back there…first time doing s L-girder Wow wood is still expensive as all heck, and the quality is MEH..

However, i shorted myself…need a cab control base 1l..darn..so running it bluetooth for now…
anyone have a set or componenet of the lionel 37156 base-1l command base ?????

putting in more track later this week! :)

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking after i started this, i remember when i would just lay down designs on the floor and after a week or so try another layout…oh how i have changed :).

thanks, been reading some good info from this and other forums… i think i have to wait for base 3 to use the full features of that reading and north diesel..or win the lotto for a base 2

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting the wiring ready for the track. Yea. I like soldering rather than a female connector. Just me.
16awg, pure copper wire…

This was a prototype going to use opposite sides of the center so the “u” faces opposite of the outer track…
need to switch up my soldering iron to less wattage…flux is my friend…

· Registered
113 Posts
Looks like your outside oval was an "add-on" idea since your platform doesn't seem capable of holding it in current design. Be careful with your curve clearances on the top and bottom of your right side; you wouldn't want a train on either track knocking off, or scratching, a train on the other track.
Pictures also look like you are building a very low layout. Is that done for child's play value? If not, you are going to find it very hard to access back of layout for maintenance (derailments, electrical, etc.) even if you can roll it away from that wall.
Chuck

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like your outside oval was an "add-on" idea since your platform doesn't seem capable of holding it in current design. Be careful with your curve clearances on the top and bottom of your right side; you wouldn't want a train on either track knocking off, or scratching, a train on the other track.
Pictures also look like you are building a very low layout. Is that done for child's play value? If not, you are going to find it very hard to access back of layout for maintenance (derailments, electrical, etc.) even if you can roll it away from that wall.
Chuck
Thanks for your reply..
1) outside was not an add-on idea..just straw horsed base platform with 4x8..and knew I would have to do a "triangle" piece of some sort....
2) "curve clearances on the top and bottom of your right" AGREED 110%.. im still working on that a little bit more....
3) "very low layout"..ahh the wifey wanted access to open the windows, and I wanted to run the trains from an office chair...I can get under there pretty easy..but like you mention and Gunner ......yea it's not hard but it is a pain playing soldier going under...takes me about 1 minute to get back there...But damn I aint getting younger :) I am sure I will have "dead spots" and learn for next layout in the future......wish I had a cut out access area..or something like drawbridge base platform idea to get in there....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts