Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm looking for an old "trackside photos" or similar pic from an ancient Model Railroader magazine.

It was essentially a kit bashed locomotive that had been done awfully. Had an "extension boiler" and a weird hybrid tender.

Any help? I kind of want to hang it on my workshop wall as a reminder...lol...

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
C.M. Latham's Double-Boiler Confound 0-4-0 (The Muddle of the Month award.) April 1970...back when they used to do April Fools related stuff...got it somewhere in the pile...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...aaand I just found and bought that issue on Amazon...

love those old MRR's. When I was a wee lad in the early 80's my mother worked at our local public library and would bring home stacks of them when they were discarded...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I remember a controversy over a magazine publishing an article describing how to use a stove polish to blacken metal, and a paint Mfg. threatening to pull it's adds over it. If I remember correctly the magazine held it's ground and retained it's right to publish any article that benefited the modeler, even at the expense of a supplier.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Yes...that would be Allan Rice. He wrote an article on using stove black to paint engines. Floquil pulled their ads for about 5 years before coming back in the mid '50s. Al Kalbach just turned to the ad salesman and said find a replacement, and told Allen sorry to see them go, but we're here for the readers, not the venders...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts