Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I purchased an earlier Athearn Genesis A-B set that have the factory installed Tsunami decoders. Now that I have a layout I am eager to run them, I am still new to DCC so perhaps I am missing something very basic.

The first thing I did was put the A-unit on my programming track and select "program from pgm track" on my NCE throttle. I wanted to find the engine address and and set some of my own volume controls etc. The first two things to display were: Manufacturer = 255 and Decoder ver = 255. The short address appeared as 191. The more I look at the crazier it appeared. So I figured no problem I will do a Factory Reset by selecting CV 8 (which also had a value of 255) to 8. Tried that and it failed, because when I finished and and tried to call up the loco by entering an address of 3 nothing happened. So back to the programming track. The Manufacturer and Decoder still had values of 255 and address was still 191.

Next I tried the Factory Reset by changing CV 30 to 8. Same results... Nothing Changed.

Needless to say I tried all the above steps on the B-unit and the results were the same.

Is there anything else I can try? Are the decoders cooked?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I have one of those that was returning an error code, contacted them and said it was on their end and replaced it. Had to have receipt.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Some time ago I purchased an earlier Athearn Genesis A-B set that have the factory installed Tsunami decoders. Now that I have a layout I am eager to run them, I am still new to DCC so perhaps I am missing something very basic.

The first thing I did was put the A-unit on my programming track and select "program from pgm track" on my NCE throttle. I wanted to find the engine address and and set some of my own volume controls etc. The first two things to display were: Manufacturer = 255 and Decoder ver = 255. The short address appeared as 191. The more I look at the crazier it appeared. So I figured no problem I will do a Factory Reset by selecting CV 8 (which also had a value of 255) to 8. Tried that and it failed, because when I finished and and tried to call up the loco by entering an address of 3 nothing happened. So back to the programming track. The Manufacturer and Decoder still had values of 255 and address was still 191.

Next I tried the Factory Reset by changing CV 30 to 8. Same results... Nothing Changed.

Needless to say I tried all the above steps on the B-unit and the results were the same.

Is there anything else I can try? Are the decoders cooked?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Have you tried the reset to factory??
1 go to Program track.
2 Press #7 when it says reset press 1 for yes.
3 Let it do its counting and the loco will flash,move.
4 Reset the power(Reboot) and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you tried the reset to factory??
1 go to Program track.
2 Press #7 when it says reset press 1 for yes.
3 Let it do its counting and the loco will flash,move.
4 Reset the power(Reboot) and see if that helps.
I just tried your suggestion. Loco did the rapid blink for a few seconds. After it stopped I did the reboot and nothing change.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just tried your suggestion. Loco did the rapid blink for a few seconds. After it stopped I did the reboot and nothing change.
Darn I was hoping that was going to work. Works good for most of my problems.
I did find this tho from this page.
Resetting the CVs or Starting OverOccasionally, something goes wrong and Tsunami will not respond as expected. Usually, this is caused by one or more CVs being programmed to the wrong value. The CVs can be quickly reset to their factory default values using the following procedure.1. Program CV 30 to 2 (or CV 8 to 8) using either Service Mode or Operations Mode2. Place locomotive on a powered section of track. If locomotive is already on the mainline, cycle power to the decoder by turning power to the track off and then back on.3. After power is restored to the track there should be no indication of activity other than the power LED turning on for a period of six seconds.If sound comes on imediately upon restoring power, the decoder did not reset. Repeat steps 1 and 2.4. Once the six-second period has elapsed, the sound should come on and the headlight, backup light and onboard diagnostic light will blink 16 times indicating that the CVs were successfully reset.5. Tsunami should now respond to short address 3 just as it did when it was first unpacked.6. If you cannot get the decoder to reset, check to see that it has not been inadvertently locked (see “If You Forget the Lock Code” in the previous section).
Go to page 11.
Hope this works.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Seriously I had a fried one also. I blinks out the code or something, you look it up -- it's in the manual. mine said something like: "contact us" or something of that nature. Anyway i emailed them, they got back to me and we went through it all again, and then said: "yep, thats our problem. send it back." It broke by way just using it. one minute it was fine, the next not so fine. not saying this is that is but a reset did not fix it either.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bewhole - Thanks again I will try your suggestions tomorrow. My head is spinning right now and I am afraid to try anything else today... I don't want end up slamming a locomotive to the floor.

Seriously I had a fried one also. I blinks out the code or something, you look it up -- it's in the manual. mine said something like: "contact us" or something of that nature. Anyway i emailed them, they got back to me and we went through it all again, and then said: "yep, thats our problem. send it back." It broke by way just using it. one minute it was fine, the next not so fine. not saying this is that is but a reset did not fix it either.
I did not get a manual. I have been using a Tsunami manual from my Genesis GP50 loco. I figured the functions should be the same with sounds and maybe some light differences.

Thanks to both of you guys.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bewhole & Severn

I could not change ANY CV Values. Every one I tried showed a value of 255 and no matter what number I entered it stayed at 255.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Are LEDs blinking in a pattern or count sequence? Check the diagnostic section of for example the diesel user guide.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bewhole

I already tried the suggestions on page 11. You mentioned it and included a link in an earlier post. I can not change CV 15 Or CV 16. The units do not allow any CV changes. I can view them but not change their values

Thank you so much for your effort and suggestions. Guy like you are what makes this The World’s Greatest Hobby.

Stay safe my friend.

Jim
y

·
Registered
382 Posts
bewhole

I already tried the suggestions on page 11. You mentioned it and included a link in an earlier post. I can not change CV 15 Or CV 16. The units do not allow any CV changes. I can view them but not change their values

Thank you so much for your effort and suggestions. Guy like you are what makes this The World’s Greatest Hobby.

Stay safe my friend.

Jim
y
One more thing. If you take the shell off and look at the decoder do you see a "Gold" reset button like in this pic?? If so press it for ten sec's and release. (Knowing Athearn they more than likely put there brand in) hope not but you never know.
P4100003.JPG

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bewhole, I removed the shell and sad to report there is no reset button. :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts