Model Train Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With adequately spaced double track 6” on center rail spacing. How do you find a double tunnel portal to accommodate? I have a Class A on O72 curves don’t see a way to use a single portal. Do you have to scratch build?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I think 6” on center is more than what you need. NMRA RP-7.2 has track center at 4 7/16 for 72” radius and 5 13/16 for 32 21/32 radius for modern trains.

Scenic express makes double track portals. The one in the first shot here is on a straight, but it might fit you needs. If not, they are not hard to make. The second shot is a masonry bridge made using rigid foam. And the third shot is a portal made using wood.
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Infrastructure Motor vehicle

Wheel Vehicle Yellow Tire Building

World Wood Plant Urban design Wall

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here you go. I raised the height of the portal so the bottom was level with the top of the rail head.
For sale on Trainz.
Nature Track Mode of transport Thoroughfare Railway
Automotive tire Font Handwriting Wood Composite material

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, as others have said, there's a lot of ways to go. On my layout, I used a pair of Athern double track portals (below is a photo from their site, which I printed out and glued to foamboard to assist in planning, and as installed on the layout, after painting/weathering):

Rectangle Symmetry Building material Font Arch

Infrastructure Motor vehicle Urban design Mode of transport Architecture

Since then, I made my own copies out of spare foam for a drop-on tunnel I built for my brother-in-law's Christmas layout:

Water Plant Wood Lake Grass

After that, I used the same basic design to produce custom-size portals for another layout. So, there's a lot of flexibility to purchase or create your own portals. All the basic techniques are available on YouTube (along with the sum total of human knowledge . . . and delusion! :rolleyes:). Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts