Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a Walthers 130' turntable. It worked well in the test, traveling 360 degrees a number of times. The next time I tried it, the turntable would not move. It makes a clicking noise almost like the gears are stuck. There is no debris in the pit. I vacuumed it carefully. There is nothing stuck in the gears and I can move them by hand. Has anuone encountered this problem and how did you fix it? - Larry

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum, and welcome to the trials and tribulations of the dreaded Walthers turntable.
I'm assuming you have the kit version... the 'built up' version is engineered differently, and works better.

That being said, many problems are associated with the plastic bearings. If you can find real replacement ball bearings, it might help.
Also, motor brush shape and tension almost surely need fiddling with.
Not sure if you're up to all that, but I wish you luck.
Others may chime in with better help.

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
BTW, a friend found replacement ball bearings at Ace Hardware for about $4, but that was in 2012 or so.

Also, you might check for flash in the plastic gears. Virtually any of it, (even a single 'dot') will stop the works.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, welcome to the forum, and welcome to the trials and tribulations of the dreaded Walthers turntable.
I'm assuming you have the kit version... the 'built up' version is engineered differently, and works better.

That being said, many problems are associated with the plastic bearings. If you can find real replacement ball bearings, it might help.
Also, motor brush shape and tension almost surely need fiddling with.
Not sure if you're up to all that, but I wish you luck.
Others may chime in with better help.
Thank you for the quick reply. I installed the assembled turntable which I guess is the "built up" version. where are the ball bearing? In the motor housing?

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts
Well, I've never known of a built-up version of the 130'... only the 90, so I just learned something.
And I believe the built-ups have metal ball bearings installed... which is probably one reason why they seem to work better. Besides, I think they're sealed and inaccessible (I could be wrong).
I have never owned one of these. I was only relaying what I've heard about remedies over the years.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Is this a new one?? If so you may have to return it for an exchange.( I would considering the price)

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
if it's the older style with the large gear pushed by the worm, it sounds like the gear and worm are out of alignment. i was reluctant to glue the gear in place which would prevent disassembly. instead i drilled a small hole thru the shaft and pushed a wire thru to hold the gear in place

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I've never known of a built-up version of the 130'... only the 90, so I just learned something.
And I believe the built-ups have metal ball bearings installed... which is probably one reason why they seem to work better. Besides, I think they're sealed and inaccessible (I could be wrong).
I have never owned one of these. I was only relaying what I've heard about remedies over the years.
I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
Thank you!
Is this a new one?? If so you may have to return it for an exchange.( I would considering the price)
Unfortunately I purchased it several years ago and only now got around to installing it. The dealer would not take it back and Walthers has been completely unresponsive to calls and e-mails.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
Unfortunately I purchased it several years ago and only now got around to installing it. The dealer would not take it back and Walthers has been completely unresponsive to calls and e-mails.
That's odd. I have had many dealing with Walthers by e-mail over the years, and the replies were always courteous, prompt, and helpful.

Did you reach out through their customer support link?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's odd. I have had many dealing with Walthers by e-mail over the years, and the replies were always courteous, prompt, and helpful.

Did you reach out through their customer support link?
yes, I send an e-mail on their form and left a message on their customer support line three weeks ago. no reply.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts