Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a "newbie" I am not sure of the difference between Insulfrog and Electrofrog, what would be best for a siding rejoining the main line?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
It doesn't matter. Either will work mechanically. The only advantage of an insulfrog is that it tends to be 'friendly' during passes of DCC locomotives. It's not a sure thing because some tires bridge the two frog rails and cause a short on the insulfrog turnouts. Not all turnouts, not all locomotives, and not all rolling stock. But, all it takes is that odd one...

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Insulfrog and Eledtrofrog are produict names of Peco turnouts.
However, there are other makes that use these same designs.

Insulfrog is likely the most used design for turnouts. The frog is plastic.
Most of this type are 'power routhg' which means that the current
is cut off for the 'divert' when points are set 'straight'. To maintain always on
power you should use a track drop to your DCC bus from both frog rails.

The Electrofrog design offers a metal frog that changes phase as
the points are thrown. It is useful for those with small 4 wheel locos and
locos that do not have all wheel power pickup. It is necessary to use
an insulated joiner in both frog rails to avoid short circuits. Claims
that Electrofrog turnouts are 'friendly' to DCC should be ignored.
DCC doesn't care what turnouts you use.

So, uinless ;you have the type of locos above you should use
the Insulfrog.

Don

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for the information, I got into a pit of a mess with my first layout attempt last year and ended up with smoke from a turn out. Wev'e just sold our house and will be moving soon and hopefully I'll have a lot more room for an extended layout (my present one is only 8'x 5' and has a couple of spurs which don't rejoin the mainline). This is why I plan to have one or two elongated D's to allow units to bypass each other. using a RH and then LH turnout at each end shouldn't cause shorting problems?

·
Registered
496 Posts
To back up Don's post. On my previous layout I used all insulated frogs. Everything always ran perfectly across them. Then I got my little 4-4-0. The power pick up was only the drivers and the frogs where just long enough for both drivers so at slow speeds the engine would stop. Anyway, just a little food for thought when thinking about what you want to run and turnouts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts