Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if this is the correct way to wire a Tortoise and NCE Q Snap or what I need to do to make it work? I am hopeless at electrics, this is for a turnout farthest from my control station.
Later I will add another one or two Tortoises at turnouts at the front of the layout. I've tried programming this once or twice but with no luck.

·
Registered
817 Posts
so kiwi, it's hooked up like this but won't work? Have you set an address for it? (sorry if that feels like a dumb question)

·
Registered
817 Posts
hmmm, did someone tell you you could use this on a Tortoise? I don't see that online...
I see "Easy address programming, no need to connect it to programming track" so that's cool...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bugger...................you are right, is there a way you can work the tortoise with a separate power pack and 3 way switch or any way to use my NCE power cab?

·
Registered
817 Posts
Sure, just use a dpdt toggle switch from a 12v supply, power pack, wal-wart, batteries, etc. or pick up a different model of accessory decoder.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Blue Rail Hobbies has a single acc decoder for 12 bucks, u can get MK2 (double) off ebay for about 30
OR put in a couple of twin coil machines... and use your Q snap.
Sorry to bear bad news...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I may use the Q Snap for lights, accessories etc and two DPDT's for the two sets of turn outs I have at present. Can anyone point me to a wiring diagram for wiring Tortoises and DPDT's? What voltage should the power pack be?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
These two items and a power supply for the machines will allow you to run up to eight switch machines from your NCE Powercab and comes with a decoder, two snap switches for operating signals for points, and is compatible with CMRI, stationary DCC decoders, microcontrollers, Arduino, and Raspberry Pi.

Walthers Switch Machine w/decoder

Walthers Distribution Card

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Aquawiki, do you have an old computer laying around? The power supply makes a good power supply for your layout.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Bugger...................you are right, is there a way you can work the tortoise with a separate power pack and 3 way switch or any way to use my NCE power cab?
aquakiwi;

This won't answer your current question, (that's already been done, just read the Tortoise directions.) But it may help with any other turnout issues you run into.

Traction Fan

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thankyou gentlemen, I have wired a couple of DPDT's and an old 12v power pack and it all works a dream...............so simple when you have an idear of what your doing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts