Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my small layout I have to date only two turnouts. I have just wired two Tortoise Switch machines to it powered by a 12v powerpack. My problem is one turnout operates nice and slow, the other very quick. Any suggestions why it is so quick. They are both operated by DPDT switches.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The slow one is a Peco, the fast one a Hornby, a lot of other good stuff not rediably available in NZ.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Peco is the slow turnout and its really fine, I removed the spring. the Hornby is (to me) the problematic one, I'll check tomorrow if its still got the spring tho I'm pretty sure I removed that spring as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, thats probably it. What sort of IQ does it take to tie shoe laces............not much..........Oh thats why Kiwis wear Jandals/Flipflops (I do all the time).

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
If you swap out the Tortoises, does it change which turnout moves faster?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Watch the speed of the “fast” Tortoise switch machine’s throw bar on the machine itself. If that’s slow (as I expect it to be), then check the fulcrum position and put it somewhere in the middle of its travel. You want to adjust the fulcrum position so that the point rails fully move and maintain a bit of pressure against the side rails, but not too much. If the points are still moving fast, it likely they are sticking and then snap over when there’s sufficient spring pressure. In that case, you need to work on finding the source of friction in the turnout itself. Could be there’s an internal spring you didn’t see, some misalaignment of the Tortoise motor, interference of the ballast, some errant glue, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts