Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy's quick question,would it be ok to put a turnout on the very end of a curved grade?It is a 2% grade if that helps:)

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
In a word? --No--

You're putting crossing rails right in the path of coupler trip pins, foot boards and any other wayward detail that sits just above rail height. When a car or loco hits the grade, those details will dip down, likely catching them cross rails and derailing your trains.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I had to do this. The turnout was on a straight section at the bottom. The incline was very slight at this point in the climb. It did take some fine tuning (and allot of headaches) but it is reliable now. The only issue is that it limits the speed that the trains can run in this area.

·
Registered
356 Posts
to go a little further into this as I really want to do this... kind of... would it be much easier/doable to level off the grading for this portion of the track and continue grading after the turnout.

to further describe my question, if I start the grade on a straight prior to the turnout and go up to approximately 1 1/2 inches, the level it out just prior the the turnout, the just after the turnout, continue to grade upwards?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
In a word? --No--

You're putting crossing rails right in the path of coupler trip pins, foot boards and any other wayward detail that sits just above rail height. When a car or loco hits the grade, those details will dip down, likely catching them cross rails and derailing your trains.
But other than that, it's no problem.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts