Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
30 years ago when I was previously constructing railroads, turnouts or points as I called them would direct power to whichever direction the turnout was pointed. On setting up a layout and putting various engines in different parts of the layout I got quite a surprise when everything started to move when I thought only one would move. I am using Atlas track and I hope someone out there has a resolution to my problem of power going to both sides of a turnout.
My only solution so far would be to isolate the turnout sections and switch power into them as required.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you didn't want all the track powered then you would be well advised to use power routing turnouts. These isolate the spur when the points are not directed that er, ahem, direction. Atlas are not power routing; rather they are all live, all the time. At this point, it would probably be easier to put a toggle switch on the spur or diverging route to kill power to that route when wanted.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Yep you answered yourself.:D
They changed all the switches years ago to be non power routed.
DCC does not like power routed switches.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Hey guys...Peco turnouts are power routed...in their
Insulfrog version that I use anyway...

I'm DCC so had to run feeds to every yard track to avoid
turning off headlights et al. when the turnout was set
straight.

Just an annoyance...love those Pecos...not a derail on
them even running cheap cars...cough, cough...

Don

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey guys...Peco turnouts are power routed...in their
Insulfrog version that I use anyway...

I'm DCC so had to run feeds to every yard track to avoid
turning off headlights et al. when the turnout was set
straight.

Just an annoyance...love those Pecos...not a derail on
them even running cheap cars...cough, cough...

Don
Same here Peco and DCC works fine for me. I use mine to power or kill power to my staging yard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts