Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two post war steam engines (4-4-2) and (2-6-2). I am using lionel turnouts (mixed set, some the 70's brown ones, rest older black ones with "L" on top that light comes thru). About 1/2 the time when I run the engine thru the turnout the front wheels (non powered) they get derailed. They ether just get derailed or try to go the oposite way of the turn out (then get derailed). The switches and engines are O27.

What am I doing wrong? Engines are loinel 8302 and 2026.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,691 Posts
Your options are limited.One frequent poster was pestered with this and changed all his to 4 wheeled front.

I anwered this recently but I can't find it

First check the switch for a smooth transition. Bend rails to suit.
Clean wheels. Polish rivet head that rubs on plate. Increase spring tension.

Depressing the rivet and use a dremel wire wheel on the exposed shaft and oil. This part rubs against the frame and may need attention.Polish up the steam chest or use a floor wax for plastic shells.

Increase weight. Make sure you have no burs or mechanical obstructions on the sliding part. The axles and wheels have to be true. Little oil may help.

I have many 2 x x engines with very little problems. With one engine the spring tension was key.

My newer, revived 1666 and 224 were jumpers and have just settled down after some running time.So exercise in a good direction that works, if you can.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i had that same problem and then relived that the part that moves was not quite touching the stationary track on the edge and the wheel would slip in there and come out. kind of been playing around with new ideas on how to fix it haven't really found a 100% effective way but one simple one was adding a few washers on to the trucks of the wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts