Model Train Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
THANKS for all the information as I've learned a lot from here, I will get a gauge to check loco's and car wheels, I have to drive 75 miles to hobby shop so will order one tonight. I started with model trains in EARLY NOV -19 so just learning how to spot trouble and fix them. I'm not very good at this computor so it takes a while sometimes to do things a pictures.
THANKS AL

·
Registered
681 Posts
Trainmain11:

If you're using Kadee couplers (be aware that some models use Kadee "knock-offs" that may look similar, but most are poor replacements for the real thing), an easy way to check to be sure that the "curlycue" (actuator) is not too low is to lay a plastic credit card on the track, then see if the curlycue "clears" it.

Works for me.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
THANKS for all the information as I've learned a lot from here, I will get a gauge to check loco's and car wheels, I have to drive 75 miles to hobby shop so will order one tonight. I started with model trains in EARLY NOV -19 so just learning how to spot trouble and fix them. I'm not very good at this computor so it takes a while sometimes to do things a pictures.
THANKS AL

AL;

Don't sweat it. Nobody's very good at much of anything when they just start out. I hear you about the computer knowledge, I'm not very good with computers either. Yes, hobby shops are fast disappearing. If you click on the first link I sent you ( www.modeltrainstuff.com ) ,with the left button on your computer mouse, It will take you to Model Train Stuff's online train store. They are a good reliable company, and you should be able to order an NMRA gauge from them.
I struggled with attaching photos too, at first. The directions right at the beginning of the "Forum News, Updates, and Help" section make it pretty easy. After a little practice, you should have no trouble attaching a photo to one of your future posts. You might also benefit from the book, "getting Started in Model Railroading" by Jeff Wilson. It covers a wide variety of model railroad subjects in simple text, and many color photos. You can order a copy from www.amazon.com or Kalmbach Hobby Store

hang in there and have fun;

Traction Fan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
ALBERT the first thing I do is cut that hook off because I don't have use of it. THANKS
TRACTION FAN I ordered that gauge form model train stuff last nite, I will look at AMAZON and check that book out.
I have been running my trains rt-to-left for a couple of days on my tracks it seems to run a little smoother. I have a medal bot car that will short my trains out with metal wheels. It has been crashing a lot so changed wheels so I changed them back to plastic again, will get plastic axles next time I think the metal was touching both rails.
I learn something new everyday!
THANKS AL

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have trouble with turnouts! But want to know if you can run a loco both ways, maybe it will not be so much troubles. It is late tonight but in the morning I will run a train back the other way and see if it works better, maybe I'm running them the wrong way. If you have ay ideas let me know.
THANKS AL
I have trouble with turnouts! But want to know if you can run a loco both ways, maybe it will not be so much troubles. It is late tonight but in the morning I will run a train back the other way and see if it works better, maybe I'm running them the wrong way. If you have ay ideas let me know.
THANKS AL
I operate on a fairly old club layout. We have peco switches that would sometimes derail. First thing I did was to check Track gauge. That done, I replaced the plastic guard rail. Running 28"/.088 wheels with accurail flexible trucks thru the frog is like running thru a ditch. The guard rails are on the tight side of NMRA spec, and slightly taller than the main rail. My cars are properly weighted and trucks minimally but adequately flexible. Engines ballasted to 4 oz. per axle. Now I can back a 100 car train with 3 engines thru the turnout and around a 24" radius curve. If a car derails, the car is suspect.... Dale.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
THANKS AL
As was already mentioned, check the gauge of your locomotive wheelsets using an NMRA standards gauge before you do anything else.
You may or may not have turnout problems, but when checking them use a known good locomotive in addition to the NMRA gauge to verify your turnouts.

Have fun, and keep the trains rolling! :)

21 - 26 of 26 Posts