Model Train Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a little fun this holiday season. Running two trains on my 50 foot single track ceiling layout. Remote commander makes it fun :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
That was fun! I tried it a couple of weeks ago on my 4x8 layout with two trains. Needless to say there wasn't much empty track. :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have been running all night and while the GP7 has been gaining on the ten wheeler it's been slow enough to not be an issue :) I think it might have been set 1smph faster. Hard to tell with the remote commander. My son loved it though. That's all that matters

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
What diameter curves did you use for the corners? They look really tight. I used O-54's on mine so I could run larger trains. I never considered running multiples on the shelf layout. It is truly a good place to do it. Nice looking. I also ran rope lighting along the shelf to reduce the shadow cast by being above the ambient room lighting.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used 0-31. They are tight but I don't have any plans to run larger engines up there. Now that Manards has O-36 tube I might swap them out for that though. I like the corners hanging over the edge and I think if I go any larger than that I'll have to add supports of some kind.

I have been considering some sort of lighting. I have 50 feet of LED lighting that I could run up there right off the track power. When I run passenger trains it's not such a big deal but when I have the box cars up there it's quite dark :)

P

·
0 Posts
Remote control sure makes this task much easier. Nice job and thanks for bringing the video to us.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

·
Admin
44,194 Posts
I have been considering some sort of lighting. I have 50 feet of LED lighting that I could run up there right off the track power. When I run passenger trains it's not such a big deal but when I have the box cars up there it's quite dark :)
I think it might look good if you put the lights behind the track at track level shining up. That would give a halo of indirect lighting without actually seeing the physical lights.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I am thinking as well. I might experiment some. The LED's I have are pretty harsh. Rope lighting might work ok as long as I can dim it. I just want a hint of light up there. Something to ponder. I still have to finish the wood trim as I have not caulked it or painted it to match yet. The wife has been pretty forgiving about that :)

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
That's what I am thinking as well. I might experiment some. The LED's I have are pretty harsh. Rope lighting might work ok as long as I can dim it. I just want a hint of light up there. Something to ponder. I still have to finish the wood trim as I have not caulked it or painted it to match yet. The wife has been pretty forgiving about that :)
AHHHH, caulk and paint, my favorite remodeling and maintenance friends.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Rope lighting should be perfect

image.jpg

In our breakfast room, we have a similar shelf area. It has two strings of rope lights... Blue and warm white from Lowes. They are on separate switches with built in dimmers. Can't see the lights and the effects that can be created are neat.

The room has large windows and doors and the lights don't show up a lot at 2:30 on what appears to be a summer day in Virginia. They show up well at night and appear as a warm glow.

While it was originally designed for trains and old toys, I have not gotten the trains up there yet. Oops, my error; Barbies are not to be considered as "Old Toys" per Paula.

Enjoyed watching your video. Thanks for posting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts