Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
Tyco Steamer

Tyco Steamer Link

Dates to the 80's, the older ones look better, mine is newer. Engine is in the tender. The coupler shouldn't be a problem. Any more questions? My photobucket has more pictures. No smoke on mine just a headlight. The earlier ones had more detail. They were made in the late 70's.

After reading the thread everyone has one. So what is yours? Early or late?Post a picture. I wonder if BC got his running?

I do not know about the 15' radius. Just be glad it runs.

·
Registered
762 Posts
No, mine is still dead as a door nail.. :(

I've tried to rewire it and nothing. It just might need cleaning.
I haven't tended to it in weeks.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
Give a yip if you need a better picture. Try to run it directly from a transformer to the brushes. If it works then check the wheels, the pickup on the tender trucks should be the opposite from the the engine pickup which is the trailing truck.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
OOPs there is no trailing truck. The red and black go forward. Red to the contact post and then meets the black at the light.

The shiny wheels on the right front and aft on the tender are one set of pickups for the black wire.
The red goes to the frame and must pick up on the left drive wheels.
OK, if you open it you will find springs against the copper pieces with the brushes.

The face is oily on mine and after cleaning it was a silver color. The springs stayed with the cover. Hope this helps.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
assembly

Ok to assemble I remove the paddles from the clips carefully so as not to break the plastic. I spread a clip with a finger and pulled up on the piece. Next I installed the cap with the screw next to the red paddle. I installed the brush, spring and snapped the red paddle into place.
The installed the brush, spring and snapped the black wire paddle into place I got the black washer with connectors and screwed that into place. Done.

So in the picture I worked left to right with the motor upside down.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Mine woiks like a champ...with a little help from a trick Ray M. taught me. Replace those traction tired wheels with nickle silver ones stripped from a scrapped power drive. Increases the power pick-up and helps it run better.

I prefer the older ones over the newer ones, they look much better and have a pilot truck. This one was a...sniff...Royal Blue...sniff, sniff...:eek:hwell: that the previous owner painted over...

This one is a later one from the 80s that has never been run...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just receive mine in the mail. It was in the original box and Styrofoam. A couple of surprises that I have run into. It came with a tube of smoke oil and a funnel to fill it with. I thought this engine did not have a smoker. Also the engine has a cog on the third axial that hits anther piece to make a click clack sound as the engine goes down the track. The bad part is that the rubber traction wheels were cracked and came off after about three feet. Now it goes no wear. I saw the post about replacing the wheels with metal ones, where do I get those? Or where can I get replacement traction wheels? I also have a Bachmann F3 that needs the traction wheels. How do I know what size to get? A final question is where can I get a front truck to make it a 2-8-0? The mounting screw is there just not the wheels. It looks just like the one in the pic from the eighties, no date on the box.

Here is a link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=280343014819

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
Oh Yeah I like the older one.
This is about the Royal Blue
This is about the http://ho-scaletrains.net/tycotrains/id88.html
By GOlly I think Mine may have smoke!!! It doesn't say on the box but I got a clear lever operating from underneath and cross wires in the stack.
So tkruger YES they did come with smoke.!!

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
Finish

Two bottom screws remove the wheels. Two clips remove the the lower cover showing this. I had enough and put it back together.:)
MOre picyures in the photobucket can be seen under "tyco 638."

The front truck is off a Royal Blue or buy one with the engine off ebay I see two (after viewing your auction). I am flat about getting tires.:confused: Probably Walthers.

Mine was sold separately. I misplaced the funnel and smoke. I have the directions.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well, mine is from the 70's so would mine have smoke, and mine does have a ding noise from below the boiler.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
The click-clack mechanism is the puffer device for the smoke unit, you fill it by pulling out the bell. Hang on to those funnels, they're the first thing to disappear and the last thing you'll ever find at a swap meet.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
The engine with the headlight on the boiler came out in 1975 with smoke. Mine dates to 1978 without the headlight. The funnel? Well maybe you could use an eye dropper. A chemistry trick was to place a thin wire in the hole and place a drop on the wire and let it flow into the hole. The oil should have enough adhesion for this to work. The hole is small. The cover to the front of the boiler will pop off revealing the white smoke unit and light bulb. ALso a cross hair can be seen down the stack. Or take it apart like I did.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ok, I took off the front lid and here is what it looks like under the bonet of a late 70's version of the tyco 2-8-0. Not much to see, just a metal tube or plate at the front and wires for the front lamp.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,838 Posts
You have a nice version, metal smoke unit and wire handrails. I couldn't find my funnel either. I did find a 1978 Tyco catalog. I think it came with a Silver Streak set I bought cheep with heat damage way back when.
I am thinking about making a small funnel. Using the packing foam as a mold ,use two part epoxy to cast and drill out the top and shaft. Have no idea it will work. I will use petroleum jelly on the foam first.

The outside diameter is 3/32" a 1/8 would be too large. Perfume funnels are available but no dimensions are given on some. You could adapt a wd 40 red extension tube( it does fit) to it with glue. Or just don't loose the original.:eek:hwell:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts