Model Train Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
A question: I have a similar Ten Wheeler and does yours have one traction band and where is it, front or back wheel? Mine derails nearly every curve and I think that’s why.

·
Registered
11,265 Posts
A question: I have a similar Ten Wheeler and does yours have one traction band and where is it, front or back wheel? Mine derails nearly every curve and I think that’s why.
A traction tire wouldn't make a difference for derailing. More likely, there is s problem with the pilot truck. Check the gauge of the wheels (all of them). Check the connection with the tender and make sure it isn't lifting the front of your loco. The pilot truck may not be loose enough to corner properly.

Get right down at track level with a flashlight and see where the wheels come off. It may derail at a much earlier place, but only come off when it gets to the curve.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I think that nice looking 10 wheeler picks up one side of the rail power from the tender and the other is on the locomotive. Hopefully some one has installed a decoder on this engine. If not I would be tempted to turn one of the tenders trucks around and pick up both sides of the track power, put the decoder in the tender and run 4 wires to the engine for the motor and headlight. Just a guess as to how install the decoder. Remember that both motor brushes need to be isolated when you install DCC. I think it's worth the effort, just enough complications to be interesting!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. I took mine apart and moved the wheel with the traction band to the front, looks like it doesn't derail anymore. Your traction band is missing, you might be able to find replacements. Like most of my steamers this one runs better in reverse than forwards...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the pictures. I took mine apart and moved the wheel with the traction band to the front, looks like it doesn't derail anymore. Your traction band is missing, you might be able to find replacements. Like most of my steamers this one runs better in reverse than forwards...
new to the hobby so gotta see what a tracton tires are. By sound. sounds like a band on wheel that helps with grip

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that nice looking 10 wheeler picks up one side of the rail power from the tender and the other is on the locomotive. Hopefully some one has installed a decoder on this engine. If not I would be tempted to turn one of the tenders trucks around and pick up both sides of the track power, put the decoder in the tender and run 4 wires to the engine for the motor and headlight. Just a guess as to how install the decoder. Remember that both motor brushes need to be isolated when you install DCC. I think it's worth the effort, just enough complications to be interesting!
i hear ya on that!!!
sounds complicated and will check it out.

guessing i can turn tender truck around a d make sure it still runs on dc...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
took trucks off tender a d they have no wires on them. why would they be brass?

motor is in loco so i have no clue why there is a wire from tender to loco...
Be careful.
tender chassis is metal, so no wires from trucks to chassis is needed.

Reversing one truck will cause a short circuit.
It will be virtually impossible to use the tender for both pos. and neg. feeds.

IIRC, the motor wires can be isolated with a tiny piece of tape under the spring clip. The run second wire to tender.
Maybe fit the decoder in there under the removable log pile.

Give me a day to check my traction tire supply, I think I put one on my loco

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
almost had another plus 2 diesels and 3 u6 cars.. got outbid at end on ebay. hah. didnt take it serious. someone used snipe tool as i dropped $31 bid at 3 seconds. oh well..lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts