Model Train Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a U38 in CSX paint. It is an MTH that will run conventional. I purchased what appears to be a GP9 shell off ebay that is super long, like 14 inches. This may work for the conversion and placement on the frame but I have 99% decided I want to keep it together - the now CSX painting - and transform it into a Bankruptcy blue or maroon Rock Island U Boat locomotive.

So now to my question(s) - how do I remove the CSX factory paint without damaging the underlying plastic?

Are bodies "fairly" easily removed ? I removed a couple of RTR bodies and I believe I gave up on the wiring and cut the wiring to the lights. I won't want to do that now.

I am assuming if I paint over the CSX painted shell now, it will be too thick and remove detail. For painting the road name on I am kind of stuck.

I just purchased the R and THE ROCK decal off ebay IF I decide to go with the Light Blue and White scheme for paint. There is no decal set for the ROCK ISLAND option or the Rock Island option I have in books so if I paint the body maroon or red / yellow then I need to stencil or outline the letters and paint the choice inside the stencil. That's a skill I may not have. Or I am afraid the paint line would bleed or look amateur.

I think I will go with Bankruptcy Blue because I don't see MTH or Lionel or Atlas ever doing one. I do want to put it on ebay and see how it will sell. If it doesn't sell, I certainly keep it and run it. I have close to $5000 on order and thought I could raise some money this way.

So - how do I strip the paint? Do I apply rubbing alcohol or ethanol and wipe carefully or will that soften the plastic?

·
Admin
46,379 Posts
The body should be easy to remove, a few screws. If you look at the manual for the actual model you have, it'll show you where the body screws are.

BTW, what's a U38?

As far as removing the paint, you don't really have to remove much paint as a rule. You can use Isopropyl Alcohol and a rag to scrub off selected paint areas, usually only the lettering might be an issue if it's raised. Other than that, just paint over it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John

Sorry I may have messed up the U accuracy. I am referring to GE U33's, specifically the Rock purchased U33B's and that is my model for bankruptcy blue. These started out as Maroon and Yellow hood units.

Rock Island had several U28B's as well, probably what I was thinking.

I do not see - but could be wrong - MTH, Lionel or Atlas creating a GE U Boat in Rock Island. This one when done will be a test to see if I have any skills in this regard.

Now what to do with the grey GP looking shell. I'll have to post a photo.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.