Model Train Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Greetings all. Thanks for all the help. Christmas is now over and I can return to this project.

1. Yes, a double slip

2. Outside main curves are 22 inch radius, inside are 18 inch min. I really want to keep those 22 inch outside radii, and do not want to go below 18 inch anywhere except for inside switching industries. I have two 0-6-0 locos: one a Plymouth diesel (BLI) and a Porter steam (Bachmann) that I 'see' switching inside the main. But I had better test, maybe 0-6-0 will bind on a 15 inch radius even at low switching speeds.

3. I have hardboard for a fascia that will provide a 1 inch 'guardrail.' Hopefully that will prevent the great plunge of death!! Though my layout does sit over carpet and a pad, but still.

4. I'm going to keep playing with the inside industrial area. I have a mind's eye idea that may not work, but it's worth throwing some Anyrail pixels around.

Thanks again for the tips and reviews and critiques. Keep 'em coming!

STeve J

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Your 0-6-0s, as well as any 40’ or less rolling stock will run fine on 15r curves in yard areas. Of course that doesn’t mean you should-lol.
Curved TOs & 22r; needn't worry about that. If you can make them fit well, the larger than 22r outer curve will act as an easement into and out of the other 22r curves. Smoother op’s too.
It’s obvious I’m a huge fan of curved TOs. For good reason I believe.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
Okay - I have done a lot of design work inside the loops.

Slope Line Parallel Rectangle Font

• The curves showing yellow are 18 inch R; Those showing Orange are 15 inch R.
  • The southern structure is the Walthers Ice Bunker, upper west is the Golden Valley Canning company.
  • The structure off board is the Walthers RJ Frost frozen storage - - doesn't look like it will fit anywhere.
  • that is a double slip coming off the southeastern inside loop. (Probably don't really need it, but I already have the TO).
  • The little spur pointing SW may become a little engine house for the industrial switcher working those inner lines.
  • the pink rectangles are electromagnet uncouplers.
  • The Yard is already built and uses the ME code 70 ladder system.
  • All other TOs will be Peco insul/unifrog or the new Walthers.
  • The curved TOs are a mix of old Walthers/Shinohara and the new Walthers.
  • Rolling stock will be primarily 40 foot or less. I have one 50 footer box car.
  • No passenger service.

Please review with an eye for operations. I think I have it such that all the inside tracks can be worked with a switcher and at least a few cars.

Thanks all!! I'm getting excited to get cracking on this!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Personally, I think you have too much going on. Lots of back and forth spurs look interesting on paper but will be a nightmare to use. Combine that with a lack of a runaround track off the mainline and it's going to get old fast.

In the prototype remember they try to make things as easy to access (time is money) and use as little infrastructure as possible (maintenance/construction costs).

If you REALLY want that much track and puzzle in the middle I'd suggest adding a well known track arrangement to the middle such as the timesaver. It's not really for "operations" its more a puzzle, but it should work better for operations than your most recent plan and still be plenty interesting. Note that it includes a runaround.

Rectangle Slope Triangle Font Parallel

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
You are of course correct - a run-around would be of tremendous use. And funny you should mention the Tymesave. Early in my thought process, I was looking hard at the "Highland Terminal" shunting track

I'll keep working! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Personally, I think you have too much going on. Lots of back and forth spurs look interesting on paper but will be a nightmare to use. Combine that with a lack of a runaround track off the mainline and it's going to get old fast.

In the prototype remember they try to make things as easy to access (time is money) and use as little infrastructure as possible (maintenance/construction costs).

If you REALLY want that much track and puzzle in the middle I'd suggest adding a well known track arrangement to the middle such as the timesaver. It's not really for "operations" its more a puzzle, but it should work better for operations than your most recent plan and still be plenty interesting. Note that it includes a runaround.

View attachment 575036
Is this design more for off of a mainline? I'm dabbling in how to do some small yards off my mainline and was curious...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Whew - - tougher than I thought. But I do appreciate the feedback and criticism. I'm thinking I may be closer.

Rectangle Slope Line Parallel Pattern

1. Solid pink lines are view-blocks. The N_S one will be 18 inches with tapering toward the edge. The Northern one separating the main from the yard will be about 10-12 inches. Maybe shorter. My plan is to make the view blocks of 1/16 styrene sheets and probably afix commercial backdrops to them; one of a rural setting; one of an urban.

2. The spur coming off the western loop is a grain elevator and will be the only structure in that section. The inside loop area will be various industries. Those shown are not final decisions.

Hopefully the inside industrial area is cleaner now. I've been learning quite a bit, but I am quite sure that it could (and should) be better.

I have started laying the track for the two outside loops as I do not see those changing much. So I still have time to play with the inner ideas.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Greetings all!

Once again, thanks for all of the constructive comments and suggestions. I have learned much from you as a result! I awoke on e night not long ago and thought "Aha! A Wye!!"

So that launched me an yet another tweak of the interior! ANyrail is great for a thinker/analyzer like me!!

Slope Rectangle Line Map Parallel

That is a Walthers/Shinohara #2 Wye coming off the TO coming off the Double slip. My LHS has one in stock!! So I am liking this and think this will be my final iteration.

As always, comments welcome!

·
Registered
205 Posts
After finally getting enough of my tracks up and running I have learned a few lessons the hard way. I've found that S-bends are to be avoided wherever possible. I had a section on my layout that a corner had been laid just 1/4" off where it should have been and it caused a derailment every time between my engine and first car when the coupler swing maxed out.

You have a good deal of curves entering into a turnout that turns the opposite direction. Depending on your equipment it may or may not be a problem. It may be best to mock some of these up to test if you experience enough sway to have coupler swing max out.

Consider the bottom wye. A standard switch is a much safer option here it compresses the tracks a bit but completely removes a very short S-bend.

Rectangle Line Parallel Schematic Slope

Additionally if you swap the direction of the switch just north of the new wye and remove the short curve between the wye and it you will find the S bend is removed. Basically by doing it as you've done you are oversteering the corner only to turn back the other direction. Consider my arrangement on the left, and yours on the right. Yours has an S-bend with no straight track between, mine has at least the length of the switch straight before turning back the other direction. Now they don't end up in EXACTLY the same place but it's pretty close. Close enough to at least give it a check to see if you can make it fit.

Human body Slope Font Parallel Electric blue

I know you are working to keep the straight leg of the turnout as the main route, but it's more important to keep the S-bends out. The whole main/straight argument is fairly moot with industry trackage anyhow. There are a few other locations where you've done the same thing. The turntable entrance looks odd, it has a whole bunch of zig zags on the southern entrance. Again mine on the left, your on the right.

Slope Font Electric blue Snow Event

Do what you will with these, your design may work just fine with short equipment. It might just be a a little more bullet proof with mine.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
After finally getting enough of my tracks up and running I have learned a few lessons the hard way. I've found that S-bends are to be avoided wherever possible. I had a section on my layout that a corner had been laid just 1/4" off where it should have been and it caused a derailment every time between my engine and first car when the coupler swing maxed out.

Do what you will with these, your design may work just fine with short equipment. It might just be a a little more bullet proof with mine.
Thanks a bunch!! Great ideas and exactly the kind of review I need. The yard area is already installed, and working okay. I have not seen derails there that I can recall, so I will probably not pull up that track. But your suggestions re the S curves and that southern wye are very helpful.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts