Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to give a five minute narrative speech today... I am going to talk about the time when I was tailgating someone when the guy stopped his car in the middle of the road and got out to yell at me...

Now I am sure some are like, "pfft, five minutes is noting," but to me it is a big deal! Anyone else around here strongly dislike public speaking? I feel like I am going to throw up :knock_teeth_out:

·
Registered
289 Posts
When I was a kid I was an altar boy and had to read and speak to everyone in church. It was a bit nerve racking at first. I got over it quickly and now could speak to any number of people about anything.
When I was in school and had to talk in front of the class I was envied by other students because I was not nervous. I miss school.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have to give a five minute narrative speech today... I am going to talk about the time when I was tailgating someone when the guy stopped his car in the middle of the road and got out to yell at me...

Now I am sure some are like, "pfft, five minutes is noting," but to me it is a big deal! Anyone else around here strongly dislike public speaking? I feel like I am going to throw up :knock_teeth_out:
If you have not thrown up yet, lol, just think about the butthead that got out of his car to yell and say to yourself, "I should have puked on this guys shoes.". Now you may start laughing or at least smiling and forget about puking.
Public speaking is about attitude. No matter how scared you may feel just walk up to the podium and look out at the audience with a smile. You don't have to look them in the eye to make it appear as if you are confident. Just look over their heads while scanning the room and you will appear to be in total control. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not if you look close enough to appear to be looking them in the eye. Practice it with some friends.
Yea, I do not have very many of those... I have not made one friend a college, and there are only a few from high school still in this area...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yea, I do not have very many of those... I have not made one friend a college, and there are only a few from high school still in this area...
Wow, you must be shy like I used to be. A true friend is hard to come by, but it is easy to meet an aquaintance. Just walk up to somrone and ask them for directions or something. Say something like, "Wassup?, I am lost.".

You never know, you may actually make a friend and it won't hurt, I promise. ;)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wow, you must be shy like I used to be. A true friend is hard to come by, but it is easy to meet an aquaintance. Just walk up to somrone and ask them for directions or something. Say something like, "Wassup?, I am lost.".

You never know, you may actually make a friend and it won't hurt, I promise. ;)
I am very shy, hence why I am 18 and have not even asked a girl out on a date... LOL, and do not even think for a second that I am

Also, I do not know how to phrase this, but it is like I do not even really have an ambition to make friends, not that I am afraid too make them... I am an introvert to the extreme level I guess :dunno:

PS: You need to get yourself an avatar...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am very shy, hence why I am 18 and have not even asked a girl out on a date... LOL, and do not even think for a second that I am

Also, I do not know how to phrase this, but it is like I do not even really have an ambition to make friends, not that I am afraid too make them... I am an introvert to the extreme level I guess :dunno:

PS: You need to get yourself an avatar...

:) LOL I did not even have a girlfriend till I was almost 20 and she was butt ugly........:eek: We did not even do you know what.......:cool:

By you know what I meant, hold hands in public.;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I get nervous as all hell when I need to speak, but I do it all the time. I'm an expert witness in court and hearings all the time, and I sometimes teach classes from 1 to 4 days.

The key is to be sure you know what you're talking about. If you really know it well, you will be confident. Take the extra time to research it deeply and you'll be ready.

I'm incredibly introverted, btw. Skills in talking to a person are entirely different than in talking to people. There is nothing personal about public speaking, and you are not vulnerable the same way. Just know your stuff, and concentrate on that, not the people, and you'll do fine.

I don't know how your speech class is set up, but consider bringing the audience into it. Make them take the risks with experiences, not you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts