Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve always liked the look of the UK Class A1/A3 locos (of which the famous Flying Scotsman is one) and the Coronation Class. I’ve recently learned that some of these locos were celebrities, both at home and abroad, and traveled the world on publicity tours.

I learned from the video linked below that the Coronation Class “Duchess of Hamilton” toured the US in 1939. I doubt it would have passed through the little hamlet in the southern Blue Ridge represented on my layout, but what the heck!

I would rather it had been the Flying Scotsman, since I have Scots heritage, but it didn’t tour the US & Canada until 1969-70. C’est la vie.

I would rather the Duchess had been in “smoke deflector” configuration instead of “streamlined”, but streamlined it was in 1939.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Royal Scot visited North America for the 1933 World's Fair, elephant ears and all. She had a pilot, headlight and a bell fitted for the trip as per regs.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Cool. Very cool. I would love to have a good model of the flying Scotsman on my layout, as well as as Gresley A3 Pacific and, of course, the A4 Mallard.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The EMD "Class 66" type used to be built here in Canada at the former GM plant in London, ON. It was always neat to catch special moves of export locomotives from the plant while it was still in operation.

Quite the size difference in height/profile compared to the North American units.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LMS coaches arrived today. The "Duchess" is supposed to make it across the pond by Groundhog Day.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Very nice Stumpy. Great looking coaches.

Reactions: Stumpy

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't forget to break the flags out...
Great pic! Thanks.

Looks like the coaches I got are pretty close.

Also, that Railway Express truck in the background, left... The Jordan kit's instructions said to paint the roof white. I should have.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Duchess arrived today, ahead of shed-jewel.

Some add-on details including a complete extra front bogie with a coupler and a spare wheelset for the tender(?).

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But there is 😕

I knew when that screw fell out of the box it wasn't good.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice!

I'm still going to get an F'n Scotsman and a Ma-Llard.

I need to "acquire more right-of-way".

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Nice equipment Stumpy. The Brits certainly have a different design on some of their locomotives.

Reactions: Stumpy
1 - 20 of 53 Posts