Model Train Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This technique is some thing I have heard very little about for whatever reason. I recently ran up on a guy on YouTube who uses these magnets for uncoupling cars.

I was curious as to how many of you guys use the magnet setup. The guy on the Tube I mentioned has his set up as manual pulls. However, is it possible to hook these up to a switch and operate them remotely across the room? If this method is possible could someone post a diagram or a link to how these are to be hooked up to a electric switch?

The magnets themselves are not expensive at all and I am interested in getting several of these put in place in one of my yards as a trial run before adding to my other yards.

Pros and cons?

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
You can place the under tie magnets in every spur
on your layout and still find the need to uncouple
where there is no magnet. That's when you need
the HOG method...The Hand Of God is a wood or
plastic 'stick' filed flat and to a near point on one
end. You stick this device into the couplers, do
a slight twist and the couplers will open...maybe...
it takes practice but it's what you'll be doing a lot.

Others have fashioned a U shaped device with small
magnets glued to the side of the U...this is lowered
over the couplers so the 'hoses' are attracted and
open the couplers.

Don

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
uncouplers sometimes cause unintended uncoupling on the mainline. One approach is to mount the magnets on a plate that can be rotated that can be turned with a pushrod. uncoupling is disabled when both are aligned with the track and enabled when perpendicular to the track

the following shows a Railcrew uncoupled that is turned electronically

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
uncouplers sometimes cause unintended uncoupling on the mainline. One approach is to mount the magnets on a plate that can be rotated that can be turned with a pushrod. uncoupling is disabled when both are aligned with the track and enabled when perpendicular to the track

the following shows a Railcrew uncoupled that is turned electronically

Yes I wondered if uncoupling happened from time to time due to a snag while passing. Helpful tip you have provided to fix that issue.

:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts