Model Train Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It does look like British prototype..And not only is it missing its pilot and pony trucks, it's missing a tender !..
If you don't foresee getting it working again (ugh!) I'd put it on a shelf on a comparable size piece of track, with tender, and scale plastic trucks (just floating/not really attached), as a display...
Yes, sure

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another one

A good friend has just shown me his childhood toy, a live steam loco that was sold (and made !!) in Australia. Brand and model is "Renown 1150".It must be at least 50 years old, maybe 60. The best price guide I can find for it (including the original box, albeit a bit battered) is $AUD600 - $AUD1,200.

Doubt if that helps you though.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd contact train clubs or hobby shops in your area to see if anyone near by is running live steam. They will have the best knowledge on how to restore your loco. They should be able to advise on whether a cosmetic(static display) or running restoration can be done.

15 Posts
There is a lot missing. Boilers, even that small have very strict guidelines. My guess is that it would not be worth a working overhaul rebuild.
Being a family heirloom, I would disassemble it to a point you are comfy with doing, clean it up nicely (Dremel w/brass brushes) and air brush it in a faded black engine color. Hand rails can be done in brass wire. Coat them clear nail polish or other UV resistant finish. Chrome spray paint can be shot in a small container and brushed on heavy and quick for a SS look on the pistons and drivers. Or polished and nail polish.
If you decide to do a working rebuild, send it out to someone that knows the craft and guidelines. I would expect (Just guessing but, it is steam) it would be in the $1000's.
My guess is that it ran a large circle track in a yard since it burned fuel.
Very nice piece of history, Thank You Kindly for sharing it with us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'd contact train clubs or hobby shops in your area to see if anyone near by is running live steam. They will have the best knowledge on how to restore your loco. They should be able to advise on whether a cosmetic(static display) or running restoration can be done.
Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
There is a lot missing. Boilers, even that small have very strict guidelines. My guess is that it would not be worth a working overhaul rebuild.
Being a family heirloom, I would disassemble it to a point you are comfy with doing, clean it up nicely (Dremel w/brass brushes) and air brush it in a faded black engine color. Hand rails can be done in brass wire. Coat them clear nail polish or other UV resistant finish. Chrome spray paint can be shot in a small container and brushed on heavy and quick for a SS look on the pistons and drivers. Or polished and nail polish.
If you decide to do a working rebuild, send it out to someone that knows the craft and guidelines. I would expect (Just guessing but, it is steam) it would be in the $1000's.
My guess is that it ran a large circle track in a yard since it burned fuel.
Very nice piece of history, Thank You Kindly for sharing it with us.
Thank you very much!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts