Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of UP engines passing through Parsons, KS

Neat and clean cars (out of the box? :D)

These 7 engines were sitting near the old back shops, engines rumbling. Very mighty. The lead is a SD70M (I gotta get one of those in HO :p)

I was on my way to a software conference (JavaOne) in San Francisco.
While I was in the 'neighbourhood', I stopped by my old family from when I was an exchange student 20 yrs ago. the visit only lasted a few days, but I got quite a few shots :).
There is a coal train going thru the city every hour (or so it seemed). My 'parents' happily drove me around so that I could do some serious railfaning. Standing but a few feet away from the trains, feeling the earth tremble is awesome.

Pretty close huh? On this location they are doing 5-10mph, picking up speed...

Parsons (south east Kansas) used to be an important hub on the M-K-T. Parsons had the diesel repair shop a turn table, icing facilities. cattle pen and also 'til the mid 40's a roundhouse serving the northern part (Missouri-Kansas) Waco, TX served the southern part. The Katy employed some 3000 people which was alot considering that Parsons at the time had some 15000 , a few less now...

When UP took over late 80's, they decided to use Waco as the only backshop, thus Parsons basically lost some 3000 jobs over night.

I never got any of the BNSFs that also go through the town. Maybe next time... And the next time I'll make sure to bring a wide lens... a 10-22mm is on my wish list :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a M-K-T caboose that can be spotted in Oswego, KS

and another one at the iron horse museum in Parsons.

+ a switcher

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Here are some pics of UP engines passing through Parsons, KS

Those are all very cool pictures of one of my favorite road names :D

Does this locomotive happen to be an AC6000? It looks just like my two MTH diesels which I have, although mine do not have the flag on them :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts