Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

After looking at all the beautiful tenders that Lionel made I really wanted to have one on my 2035. So I ordered all the handrails for the 2046w tender and applied it to my 6466w tender shell that I found on eBay. So below is the end result and I am very pleased on how it came out.

Also, I have a question about the die-cast material used by Lionel on their boilers. On my engine I did a two-tone paint job on the boiler, however, the front part of the boiler is just the stripped down metal. Before stripping what was left of the original paint there were massive chips and none of the exposed metal was rusting anywhere. So my question is should I paint the exposed metal or is it alright to leave it as is.

Thanks,
Cory

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Cory,

The tender looks GREAT ... what a beautuful pair with the loco she makes!

I wanted to thank you again for your prior tip on the Woodland Scenics dry-transfer numbers. The "2035" looks quite crisp on the loco. Same dry-rubs for the tender?

I've tracked down an old Lionel 221 loco that I'll need to retag with "221" numbering. I've just ordered the Woodland Scenics numbers in Railroad Roman, Silver, MG712. Your project here gives me good confidence to try them on my 221.

Thanks much for sharing this with all of us!

TJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it.

No problem TJ, I'm glad that I was able to help. Just make sure to post some pics when your finished.:)
Also, the letters on the tender were stamped there when I bought it. Although, I have been contemplating going over them with white dry transfers to better match the engine numbers.

Also, I think I am going to paint the front of my engine just to give it a finished look. If I am careful I should be able to do it without dissembling the entire engine again. Once it is all finished I will get some photos up ASAP.

Cory

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Also, I think I am going to paint the front of my engine just to give it a finished look.
Cory
I assume you mean the front boiler cover, only ... not the full forward inch or two of the loco ... right?

I think a black boiler cover would look great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I assume you mean the front boiler cover, only ... not the full forward inch or two of the loco ... right?

I think a black boiler cover would look great.
Yea, I am going to paint the full two inches of unpainted boiler and the boiler cover. It going to be a dark grey so its going to look pretty much the same as before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts