Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I Finally found myself a transformer, bought myself some track, and purchased rolling stock at our local train show.

The locomotive doesn't run! It's getting electricity from the track, so the power source is OK.

I took it apart and cleaned the motor, contacts seem to be in good order for something this old, but the non motor part (I"m not sure what any of this is called) has a ratchet system that the rotary part has warn down the nubs that hold it in.

My question is: is this a part i can purchase? What is it called? what are any of these parts called?

Is there a way to bi-pas this mechanical feature, just to have it go one way? I'm just running it around a Christmas tree, i don't need fancy "backing-up," haha... I'm planning on re-wiring it anyways.

Cheers

·
Hobo for Life
5,953 Posts
Thats your e unit. The part with the teeth is the e unit drum. Parts are pretty cheap at the train tender. Give them a call:) They also sell the fingers, those little copper finger like things that contact the e unit. Best buy for aggravation is the pre soldered ones with wires attached. You probably could bypass it, but I never tried. You need the neutral and reverse:) plus it makes stopping the train easier:)

·
Hobo for Life
5,953 Posts
I like eBay for stuff, but parts go through the train tender, cheaper shipping and quality parts, ill look up numbers in the am.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts