Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Thomas Barker was absolutely correct!
I used the wiring diagram that he sent and the 302AC/Tender are alive and "Choo-Chooing" with smoke to boot:)

Thanks to all that have helped me get past this major PITA!!!!!:laugh:

Ya'll Are The Best!
Or, as they say here in the South, "Ya'll Are, Salt of The Earth":):):)

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Jim,

Congratulations! That's great news!

Skip the "salt" kudos ... send some honey-dipped sausage biscuits up our way, and we'll call the whole advice-thing "even"!

Big atta' boys to Tom Barker, too, huh?

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I need to send him a note:)

By the way, here abouts, the biscuits are made with salt cure ham. I can't stand them!!!!:D But we always serve honey with biscuits. No butter, jams or jellies on them in our house:)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Salt cure ham? Around here, we call that country ham---delicious if done right! Rubbed with salt and then hung in a smokehouse for 2-3 years....food to die for! Glad to hear your engine is working, now!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks reckers:)

I couldn't have done it, much less tried, without the support and encouragement of some great people I've met here!

Jim

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TJ, I'll do that!

And since I was in need of parts, I went ahead and bid/won another . And wouldn't ya know, the boiler is sound, but pretty scarred/chipped up. Guess I'll just have to do another, "Boiler In The Bag, Bath" and see what kind of Paint will look good on her. I wouldn't want your stock in Rust-Oleum to lose any of it's value!:)

Reckers, have you painted any of yours?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trucks?

Reckers, I know your time here is limited, and that at best, you may see this sometime this week.

I'm having some issues with the tender on the 302AC. The trucks appear to be a bit un-even. Every time I try to adjust them, either the wheels get to tight to the truck frame, or they get out of plumb. I really don't like the tin trucks, but at the same time, the heavier trucks with the wheel holder that's pressed in, don't take kindly to adjustments, either!:eek:hwell:

Is ther a better after market truck made for "S" rolling stock?

Answer when you have time. There's no rush, I have 3 other projects going on right now:laugh:

Jim

·
Yard Master & Research
10,645 Posts
I have noticed that you have a high standard when you collect.
Don't you think you may be overdoing it with trucks? All they do is roll along with minimal adjustment. The only bad thind, is a bent axle. I understand you want to improve it, but is is acually not working right? You have peaked my curiousity now.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have noticed that you have a high standard when you collect.
Don't you think you may be overdoing it with trucks? All they do is roll along with minimal adjustment. The only bad thind, is a bent axle. I understand you want to improve it, but is is acually not working right? You have peaked my curiousity now.
It sounds like Stillakid and me have a lot in common T-Man, LOL... That reefer car I bought? I do not want it because it always leans to one side :eek:hwell: :laugh:

I can spend quite some time also trying to get old trucks straight... It is not always easy!

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
And since I was in need of parts, I went ahead and bid/won another...
Dohh!

Then that one will need some parts. So you'll bid on another ... which will need its own parts ... so bid on yet another ...

open up / need parts / bid / buy / disect / rebuild / need parts / bid / buy / disect / rebuild / need parts / bid / buy / disect / rebuild / ...

Will any of us ever reach the point where we buy the all-hallowed "last one" and end the madness? Ohh ... we can dream, my friends ... we can dream!

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
T-Man, the tender trucks are critical to how "S" trains run. Being as all of mine have the e-unit in the tender, if they are slightly out of plumb, the circuit is broken and the e-unit goes to neutral. And if that's not a pain, there's also the track that may have a slight twist that throws it off.

The only solution I've come up with is to add weight to the tender. I'm not talking about a little bit of weight either:laugh: I finally got to where it would make more than one circuit by adding a "Full Roll of Duct Tape" for ballast on the tender:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Do you have those type of trucks? How do you get them/keep them, plumb?:D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, all tenders have weights in them, and the weights are substantial. Normally, it's a three-sided "U" shape composed of molded-plastic with hunks of metal embedded in it, about 1.5" tall. Weight is definitely critical!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have the weight in there, but it's not enough:confused:

I guess a brick or some field stones maybe..........:laugh:

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Options, in order of increasing mass density ...

1. Lead

2. Tungsten

3. Gold

There ya' go, Jim ... pack her with GOLD !!!

TJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have the weight in there, but it's not enough:confused:

I guess a brick or some field stones maybe..........:laugh:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Morning!

I found a few of the problems with the tender.
a) the 4 strand wire between the tender and boiler was rigid. Took it off and worked it a bit.
b) made some adjustments to the drawbar(evidently level doesn't cut it!)
c) re-worked the trucks after doing a & b.

Still a bit off, but I'm thinking once I let it run(with a small weight), it will improve from just being used, plus the small weight may help level out the trucks some.

Thanks for all your help:)

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Maybe check weight fore/aft distribution, too. I.e., perhaps the balance point of the tender should be midway between front and rear trucks?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Midway is best, going by how AF placed them. Is yours fastened into place with a small screw? It should be. Also, draw bar should not be rigid. The standard screw has a smooth area, just above the head, to allow free pivoting and up/down motion. If you have a regular screw in there, it's not likely to work well. Same issue with the rigid wiring---too rigid will keep the tender from riding freely.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts