Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have quite a few of these left over, and wondered if they would be suitable for traction motors ... Not exactly for a locomotive, they are too small, but somewhere where actual motors on the wheels would be used .. to replace the axle itself ..
I do have some Intermountain wheelsets left over, and they do run an insulator on one side anyways [don't have one handy]..the pager motors are [I think] one mm, and they are of the right size to fit inside the trucks themselves ..

| Can always try it, lol

·
Registered
418 Posts
Why not give it a shot as one of those projects that is a why not kind of thing. I know a tubing company that’s in my area transports steel tubes by a motorized flat car. That might be pretty cool to try. Having a special motorized car or make a speeder or something

·
Registered
31 Posts
There is a thread on the MRH forum were that was done to make a caboose roll a little farther than it could by itself. The car's wheels were mounted on the motor shaft so when not in use, the caboose rolled freely at the end of the train.
Search for "SMA33 Working Single Axle HO Traction Motors"
Paul

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
DCC "anywhere uncoupling"

I have quite a few of these left over, and wondered if they would be suitable for traction motors ... Not exactly for a locomotive, they are too small, but somewhere where actual motors on the wheels would be used .. to replace the axle itself ..
I do have some Intermountain wheelsets left over, and they do run an insulator on one side anyways [don't have one handy]..the pager motors are [I think] one mm, and they are of the right size to fit inside the trucks themselves ..

| Can always try it, lol
wvgca;

I've seen a video of these tiny motors used to open a Kadee coupler on a DCC command. No ramps or magnets needed. I wold think those motors would be way too fast for driving a wheel on a model train.

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wvgca;

I've seen a video of these tiny motors used to open a Kadee coupler on a DCC command. No ramps or magnets needed. I wold think those motors would be way too fast for driving a wheel on a model train.

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

Actually, well i don't know ... i'm still in the 'experimental' stages, lol

I do know the video you are referring to :) they worked well, just a bunch left over ..

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Isn't GRJ one of the folks here who has used those for DCC decoupling? If I remember right, that was done by winding a thread around the motor shaft and attaching the other end to the knuckle, which gave it enough power to tug the coupler open.

Maybe you could use one and set up a rubberband drive to give it some power? I've thought of using one of these to power a hand car on the track.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i will try [initially] on direct drive, right from the motor to the wheels ...
the pager motors will fit inside the HO trucks, and wheel modifications will be minimal, just drill a small hole and use the motor instead of the axle ..
the article at MRH gave a good idea to make a power truss on the two motors, thanks !
I think i will use the first motors, and remove the weights, and try on DC first ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts