Model Train Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting the build of the bench work for my layout. I am using pocket hole joints to hold the frame together. The question for this thread is do I need to use wood glue on the frame?

John

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
Cant hurt, and will only make it stronger. Needed, probably not. But we dont know what your gluing. Smaller lumber. Yea , i would use it. Larger, not needed.

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
I would use it. Its cheap. Whatever is left over can be used elsewhere on the layout. Or just use white glue, almost as strong and you will definitely use it on the layout.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its snowing in where i live and I was hoping to get some work done building my needed modules. Wife is not overly willing to allow me doing glue ups in the house.... lol

·
Hobo for Life
7,209 Posts
It dosen't smell and isnt toxic. Kids use it in class for projects. So tell her that. Or there is always the better to ask for forgiveness then permission. Either way, you should be good.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Mine is frameless, using L girders and cross members (which I call stringers). The legs are 1x4s, with countersunk screws and wood glue making a half-square. VERY stable legs. Same for the L gjrders. Crossmembers are screwed only so they can be moved if needed.
As you’re building yours framed, what will be on top? Plywood screwed to the frame? If so, glue would probably not be needed unless it’s luan or extremely thin. If extruded foam only, then I would use glue & screws functioning as clamps… which is what they are truth be told.
Pocket holes are really only for furniture where the hardware needs to be hidden from all viewing angles like cabinetry, drawers, dining tables etc. But whatever entertains you works I guess,

·
Registered
12,302 Posts
I agree. Glue and screw is the best option.

Your wife's opposition to gluing in the house is pretty silly... but don't tell her that in as many words. There's nothing toxic or harmful about wood glue, and you can't smell it unless you're right next to it. Unless she's objecting to your lack of good housekeeping and is afraid of the mess you'll make. Only you can say.

I agree, though that fancy woodworking and cabinet joinery techniques are way overkill. Butt joints are more than adequate. The only exception would be if your layout is in a real living space and needs to blend with the furniture.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.