Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm currently working on building up a highly-detailed HO scale version of Alaska Railroad GP40-2 #3006. It's one of the last three sporting the original black and yellow paint scheme.

This picture of it passing through Portage along Turnagain Arm inspired me. Well, that and I think I can actually pull off this paint job.

Anyway, I've sourced most of the detail parts needed based on a bunch of prototype photos. Thing is, I'm not sure about the stuff on the cab roof.

I've made the upper headlight housing out of leftover binding material from a ukulele I built about a year ago. I've got the cab vent, electronic bell, firecracker antenna, and made a reasonable representation of the antenna directly behind the upper headlight by whittling some styrene I-beam. The main question is, what are the other bits? I assume they're part of a PTC system but don't know what they're called or whether anyone makes them in HO scale. I figure I can make whatever that round thing is above the number board out of a scrap bit of sprue. The cable I can make from old guitar string. I'd appreciate it if anyone has any thoughts on the two gray parts running fore-aft and the part toward the rear of the cab roof.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm...nearly 220 views and nobody has an idea of what these parts are. Well, I guess it's nice to know that I'm not alone in my antenna ignorance.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The only thing I recognize for sure is the fire cracker antenna in the near center of the photo. It is the antenna for the basic cab radio. The engine has assorted ptc dual track antennas and related antennas that resemble ”skate” or Sinclair antennas.

Tom

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only thing I recognize for sure is the fire cracker antenna in the near center of the photo. It is the antenna for the basic cab radio. The engine has assorted ptc dual track antennas and related antennas that resemble ”skate” or Sinclair antennas.

Tom
Thanks for the link Tom.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
I'm not going to be much if any help with this detective project, but one thing is obvious: a better quality photo (more light -- especially now that you actually have some up there), and some added marks indicating what parts exactly you are interested in would definitely help.

·
Admin
43,691 Posts
Hmmm...nearly 220 views and nobody has an idea of what these parts are. Well, I guess it's nice to know that I'm not alone in my antenna ignorance.
If the graphic was big enough to actually see the detail, I suspect you'd get more comments. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The second shot showing the cab roof details shows up as about 3.5" square on my 15" laptop screen and I can honestly see the details in the photo pretty well. I wonder if I don't get the same view everyone else does. That's not meant as wiseassery, I just don't see a small, dark picture when I look at the original post. If I try cropping it too much more it just gets blurry. These aren't my photos and if I had better pics I would have added them to the original post. It's not real common to find roof shots of ARR locos but I'll keep looking for more.

I tried cropping it a bit tighter, brightening and circling the parts I'm interested in. It ain't pretty but hopefully it will be easier to see what I'm looking at.
Picture1.png

Also, a very quick and dirty attempt to isolate the parts in question:
Picture2.png

If that doesn't help, thanks anyway fellas.

Take it easy,
John

·
Admin
43,691 Posts
It doesn't show up nearly as clear as that shot in the previous post, hence my comment, and I'm looking at this on a 28" monitor. The altered post you show makes it much clearer, that should help ID some of the stuff.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
The second shot showing the cab roof details shows up as about 3.5" square on my 15" laptop screen and I can honestly see the details in the photo pretty well. I wonder if I don't get the same view everyone else does. That's not meant as wiseassery, I just don't see a small, dark picture when I look at the original post. If I try cropping it too much more it just gets blurry. These aren't my photos and if I had better pics I would have added them to the original post. It's not real common to find roof shots of ARR locos but I'll keep looking for more.

I tried cropping it a bit tighter, brightening and circling the parts I'm interested in. It ain't pretty but hopefully it will be easier to see what I'm looking at.
View attachment 542761

Also, a very quick and dirty attempt to isolate the parts in question:
View attachment 542762
If that doesn't help, thanks anyway fellas.

Take it easy,
John
No, that helps a lot. All monitors are different, and different settings affect the image that people see. On my tablet, which I use almost exclusively for the message boards, the original roof photo had too muc contrast between the white snow and the dark roof, so no roof details were visible to me. The second, enhanced version of the photo works nicely.

As I suspected, I'm no help here. I actually thought those 'rails" were part of a pantograph...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts