Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
France 24, Sky News, and Deutsche-Welle didn't forget. Top news story over there.

I don't recall it even being mentioned on the news here.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It got swamped by other news. But I saw it. I read the story of a kind of lucky guy. His mother died during his birth. He lived poorly young. He was in Normandy and fought through all or much of the war in Europe. He ended making a career out of photography and is somewhat famous for it. Then he appears to have survived covid19 at 97. Tony Vaccaro.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
There aren't many left who were in that war, but I thank each and every one of them for what they did.
God bless them all!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
There aren't many left who were in that war, but I thank each and every one of them for what they did.
God bless them all!
10 more years and they'll all be gone. We owe them a debt we can never repay.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Photos and articles were all over my Facebook feed. Its not forgotten. My father was in the Pacific, so VJ Day is probably at least as important at our house.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I still remember as a kid seeing my aunt Thelma's Steel Pot with Red Cross Markings, the liner and just how heavy they were....still had her M1936 Musette bag as well...she was a Lt. Surgical Nurse and after serving in England would volunteer for Combat Duty in the Pacific and end up in the Burma theatre!! My dad went in in 45 in the Army and would eventually go to Germany then got discharged and served in the Merchant Marine(thats were I got my Navy Bug)!! I come from a small home town and one of my friends was a pilot on a C47 sending in the first wave of the 101st at Normandy! My High School Athletic Director was John Naioti who, unknown to we students, was a Navigator on a B17 flying 31 missions over Holland and Gernmany from 44 -45(saw his Obit and researched his service through some digging)....what they all had in common was they never talked about it, but when they did their eyes would well up with tears....VE Day has a special place for my family and for all those whose Dads, Aunts, Uncles, brothers, etc who served and came home...and those who didn't.....they saved the world!!

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
VE day was a bigger day for Europe than it was here in the US, where VJ day (to many people August 15, but officially in the US, Sept 2) was really the big one.

But I thought about VE last Friday, and what it meant to my parents and grandparents, and aunts and uncles.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not having had bombs rain down in the streets of NYC, we may view it thru a different lens than do Europeans.
And you're right, it still wasn't over for us as a country. Still, I'm sure it was glorious news for everyone!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts