Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for some reason i thought the voltage drop was 0.7 volt across a diode, [standard silicon, not tunnel or germanium]... in some cases it is, in some , notably a 1n4004 at over 3 amp current, it went to over a volt ??
how come ??

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
All diodes are non-linear devices
Forward voltage drop is a function of current.
Here is a chart for the 1N4004, and should be similar for many manufacturers.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
How are you pulling 3+ amps through a diode rated for 1A max - without letting the smoke out of the diode?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
How are you pulling 3+ amps through a diode rated for 1A max - without letting the smoke out of the diode?
Heat shrink tape over the diode.
The hotter it gets, the more it shrinks.
Pushes smoke back in.

And, since I am a Professional Engineer, where do I send my bill?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
don't auto reversers and frog juicers require high currents to work?

if a diode is rated at 1A and an auto reverser can switch in 1msec, can't the diode effectively pass 1000A in the 1 msec?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Great idea about using shrink tubing, I'm sure it will work:rolleyes: And send the bill to wvgca, but wait till the harvest is in!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The diode is rated 1 amp continuous ... higher for short periods of time .... in the example that dennis461 gave, a 1N4004 diode passed 10 amps, but with only a 300us pulse width..

·
Registered
436 Posts
Schottky dfiodes rated up to 40 volts PIV drop as low as ,45 volts. You did not say half wave or bridge rectifier and this makes all the difference. So, what do you have?

In a bridge rectifier voltage goes thru two diodes at same time, thus 1.5 volt drop is normal. 1 amp diodes carry 2 amps in a bridge with your rectifier. 3 amps is not good in a bridge. So, change out to 2 or 3 amp schottky in a bridge rectifier and get under a volt drop.

If half wave rectifier, use at least a 3 amp schottky diode for lower voltage drop.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in the first post it was mentioned a [single] diode, just an ordinary silicon one, in this case a 1N4004 ..
no schottky, no bridge,

·
Registered
436 Posts
in the first post it was mentioned a [single] diode, just an ordinary silicon one, in this case a 1N4004 ..
no schottky, no bridge,
Poster was talking about one diode voltage drop, does not refer to what circuit being half wave (one diode) or bridge (four diodes total), I know what a 1N004 is, schottky was an option I mentioned and 1N4004 are not a schottky obviously.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts